• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi batt drain

does wifi drain battery when i'm not connect to network or does andriod turn it off. example being when i'm at home connect to wifi and leave the house and my wifi is still on is it still draining battery?

I'm just going to add on to what others have said. WIFI won't drain your battery if there's constant WIFI signal. If you're going from your house to somewhere else with your WIFI on, it will drain your battery. This is because it is now constantly searching for WIFI signals and since you're moving, it will not attain one. Turn your WIFI off when you leave the house. There's a stock setting widget for this (it enables WIFI, volume and brightness). You can also download an application like Locale to manage your settings based on time or GPS.
Android App Review: Locale - AndroidApps.com

Upvote 0
I'm just going to add on to what others have said. WIFI won't drain your battery if there's constant WIFI signal. If you're going from your house to somewhere else with your WIFI on, it will drain your battery. This is because it is now constantly searching for WIFI signals and since you're moving, it will not attain one. Turn your WIFI off when you leave the house. There's a stock setting widget for this (it enables WIFI, volume and brightness). You can also download an application like Locale to manage your settings based on time or GPS.
Android App Review: Locale - AndroidApps.com

I would argue the wifi draining the battery when not connected to an access point. When the N1 isn't connected to an access point the WiFi radio is just listening for a wifi network. It's not actively transmitting when it isn't connected. I'm running WiFi only, no network data, and at the end of the day with moderate usage I end up around 50%. If my usage is very light, little or no wifi usage and phone use only I've seen my phone at 70%.

Upvote 0
So when I'm at work and there are no wifi spots nearby, my phone still says "scanning" all the time. Is this not draining the battery?

I have never turned of my wireless and it just connects whereever i have an access point. It hardly drains any battery, honestly.

Turn off notify on new networks etc and i have setting, power save when screen off.

Flawless!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones