• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi & Bluetooth headset at the same time?

mjgunn

Jul 19, 2010
Got my captivate today, loving it so far, first experience with Android. I was on the phone with my GF today, talking on my bluetooth headset and I was trying to browse the web while we were talking. My connection (wifi) was being very flaky, extremely slow, or just plain unable to load anything. Turned wifi off and when I tried to turn it back on, it refused to connect to my network.

When I got off the phone with her, I tried to connect to wifi again and it worked perfectly fine, full speed. Made a phone call to test it out, same result, wifi extremely slow or not working at all. At that point I thought there was something wrong with the phone being unable to make a phone call and use wifi at the same time. Then I decided to try disconnecting my BT headset and it worked perfectly. Right now I'm streaming a video off youtube with a phone call connected, but the second I turn my BT headset on the connection dies.

Is this normal for the phone, can anyone else test this out?

let me call my desk phone. i have my bluetooth earpiece in. I'll connect to my wifi and see if I can determine anything.

*edit* I'll have to do a better test later on. Our wifi here at work is slow at best, and I have a poor signal at my desk. It's difficult to dial myself, listen to myself, and hold the phone where it can get a good wifi signal. I DID manage to stream a little bit of youtube across wifi, but I don't want to say mine works and yours doesn't because I don't really feel good about this test.

Reactions: mjgunn
Upvote 0
Hey I'm having the exact same problem with my phone..i just realized it now ...i can't use wifi while the headset is connected...bluetooth can be on but as soon as I turn the headset on.. I can't use the internet at all...and as soon as I disconnect it the wifi returns imidiately after fast as ever...please help this is such a simple task I can't believe this amazing phone can't handle it

Upvote 0
I wish I would have gotten in on this discussion earlier, but I hadn't seen it before. The Captivate, and other Galaxy S phones, have Bluetooth 3.0 which allows a new feature that Bluetooth has not offered before, transferring data over a Wifi connection (802.11). The Bluetooth link is used for creating and maintaining the connection, but Wifi is used to transfer the data.

Of course, data transfer over Wifi will only work if both Bluetooth devices support Bluetooth 3.0 and have compatible Wifi radios and software. This is where I think Samsung screwed up and implemented the Bluetooth software poorly requiring the resources of the Wifi device much more often than needed when not transferring data for the Bluetooth link. This would then cause issues with Wifi when Bluetooth is actively being used.

In short, when Bluetooth is active, the Bluetooth link is constantly trying to use the Wifi device for the data transfer when there is not a Wifi link to the other Bluetooth device. This not only causes Bluetooth data transfer issues, but Wifi transfer issues at the same time.

Because I use Bluetooth so much, this is an issue for me and the only workaround I have found that works some of the time is to have an app automatically disable Wifi when I am on a phone call. As soon as the phone call is ended, Wifi is enabled. Frustrating? Yes!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones