1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wifi Calling - Won't Dial in Room with Router

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bogeydog, Dec 24, 2011.

1. bogeydog

bogeydog Lurker

I have an odd issue. The phone will not complete a call consistently when in the same room as router. It sometimes will do so if I move to a different floor in the house. Internet works great. Screen sits and displays "dialing." SMS also sporadically works.

Facts:
    • Router - Netgear N750 with b, g, n
    • Router bridged to Fios router
    • No issues with other wireless items: Blackberry, laptops
    • Networks, 2.4 and 5g show and have proper security, both set to WEP

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

As silly as it sounds, have you tried changing channels on the router?

3. bogeydog

bogeydog Lurker

I can make and receive calls using GrooVe IP and Google Voice. Calls connect instantly however I don't want this option because I want me real cell phone number to appear on the receiver's caller ID and not a Google Voice number.

Yes I have changed the channel from Auto to a static channel.

4. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

Hmm..Very strange indeed. I also assume you've tried it with Wifi off altogether on the phone? Basic questions I know, but I figure I might as well start with obvious things lol.

5. bogeydog

bogeydog Lurker

I get little or no reception in my house, so wifi is the only option.

6. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

If you aren't getting any cell reception, that might be what's doing it. The phone isn't capable of completing regular cell calls over a wifi network - it has to do that on the cell network. Same with messaging. Google Voice and other VOIP apps and services work over the internet, which is why they're still working, but for traditional cell calls, you have to have service to do it. It's possible that the phone might just be seeing JUST ENOUGH service to keep it from saying "No Signal", but not enough to actually complete the call in that room. Chances are there are enough things, might even be interference making a bad signal worse. Other rooms might catch the signal a little better to work.

Who do you have as a carrier? Mine's through Verizon, and I have a similar house location, where I can't complete calls inside. I did buy a network extender from VZW though to use at the house, works flawlessly.

7. bogeydog

bogeydog Lurker

Verizon is the provider. I can make calls once in a while but not in the same room as the router. When I am at work, i can makes calls through the wifi.

8. bogeydog

bogeydog Lurker

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews