• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi calling?

No one here probably knows (And it's even possible that no one at the top at Verizon has ever thought of it), but if they do, it's going to be a long time before it'll be on the market. You don't make a major modification to a network, even in one test city, in a few months. You'll probably see notices in the trade blogs (and here) about testing many months before it's released to the general public. (And you may need a new phone, because they may not do it in a way that a software patch would make it work.)

Upvote 0
T-mobile includes it because their network coverage is very spotty. So its a good way to supplement coverage. Verizon has such good coverage, wifi calling isn't really a need for them.

Another benefit to WiFi calling is it reduces the network load - so it's possible Verizon could implement it if they decide their network is getting overloaded, or think it might at some point in the future.

Upvote 0
Another benefit to WiFi calling is it reduces the network load - so it's possible Verizon could implement it if they decide their network is getting overloaded, or think it might at some point in the future.

I totally agree. Verizon doesn't have very many dead spots. Unfortunately, my apartment is one of the few. I am curious why my signal there changes though. What is a good app to track the phone signal (not data) so I can see what it is and when it changes? Also I'm not sure how to interpret it either.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried it yet but I see these options in settings on my Verizon m8.
yredevad.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones