• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi Certificates

rug

Lurker
Oct 3, 2009
I would like to use my Hero on our company wifi network. We use WPA2-enterprise with TLS. There seem to be settings for this in the wifi settings menus but the drop-down for certificates only show "none". Where do I put these certificates? Or how do I import them?

I had a case with HTC but after about 3 weeks of silence I asked for an update and they just refered me to online forums for help...

/Carl

What about for the Android HTC MyTouch (for TMobile)? I looked in the advanced settings in wireless, but it only has capabilites to set static IP information, mac address, wifi sleep policy, and regulatory domain (# of channels to use). Nothing about installing certificates though. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Upvote 0
At HTC Hero:
1. CERT should be in pkcs12 format
2. rename CERT to <any name>.pfx and put it to root(?) of SD card
3. Open "security certificates" under the menu advanced in wifi settings. Chose "add certificate" (click menu button). Here you can see and add your CERT
4. Voila, now you can see your CERT at "security certificates" and can select it in TLS WPA wifi settings.

But my HTC does not connects using WPA TLS connection with CERT settings.

Cheers, ENEQ! -:)

Reactions: sunny316
Upvote 0
At HTC Hero:
3. Open "security certificates" under the menu advanced in wifi settings. Chose "add certificate" (click menu button). Here you can see and add your CERT
4. Voila, now you can see your CERT at "security certificates" and can select it in TLS WPA wifi settings.

Thanks it worked on my HTC Tattoo! I can fetch my Exchange emails but can not connect to internet. It looks like I need to specify our proxy server somewhere to make it work. Do you know how to do it?

Upvote 0
Hello Community,
I have bought the new HTC Hero with the 1.5 android os and i have a few questions about wifi certificates. My school uses WPA-2 Enterprise and certificates. As i understand there are to file extensions within the pkcs12 system. .p12 and .pfx. I know my school uses a certificate called "myname"_pass_cert.p12 for the ipods and iphones. So i believe it is the same one i should use. My phone can only read the .pfx extension so is there a way to convert p12 to pfx or do i only need to rename it. I tried renaming earlier but failed, but that might have been something else wrong. I also have these files from my school.
cacert.der
"myname"_cert.pem
"myname"_key.pem
"myname"_cert.p12
"myname"_pass_cert.p12

What can i do to convert these to an android readable certificate.

P.S. I have read that Wifi Helper app can handle this but it needs root/superuser access. I this hard to achieve and is their a way to do this without installing a custom rom?(id prefer official firmware).

P.P.S. Please move this to the correct section i see i placed it wrong.

Thank you
/Swiftwork

Upvote 0
At HTC Hero:

Thanks, worked for Tattoo. Just want to add that even if its a .p12 format, you can safely rename it to .pfx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones