1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi Connected but no internet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LaFlavor, Jan 7, 2014.

1. LaFlavor

LaFlavor Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    So, I recently updated my router to a TP-Link Dual Band N750 router and now I'm having problems with the internet connectivity on my N7. The tablet will connect to the network just fine, and things will look good initially, but after some period of time (Usually about 5 minutes) my connection turns orange in the pull down settings and, while my signal strength is still 3-4 bars, I have no internet connectivity anymore.

I've tried setting up a static IP with no luck. I can turn off my wifi or reboot the tablet, and that fixes things for a few minutes, but it invariably loses connection again.

I'm at my wit's end. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. LaFlavor

None

Feb 8, 2010
    I found a work-around where I set up a guest network, and that seems to be working for the moment, but I'd still like to know what's wrong with the main network if anybody has any ideas.

3. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    Are you using any kind of application on the N7 that monitors or logs internet traffic?

Have you tried changing the security of the connection, ie WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc?

Check TP-Link's website and see if there are any firmware updates available for your router, you can verify and apply firmware updates in one of the last settings available in the admin CPL of the router.

My last TP-Link router that was replaced by a Fios router ran like crap for about 3 months after I bought it before they released a firmware update that straightened it out as it was a fairly new model to the market.

4. lvt

lvt Android Expert
    None

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    Does it also happen with other devices or just your N7?

5. LaFlavor

None

Feb 8, 2010
    Wow, I completely lost track of this. Sorry.

No.

I haven't, simply because I don't think I'd use anything other than WPA2. The previous router used WPA2 as well, so I don't think that's the problem.

I checked that. I'm using the latest firmware, unfortunately.

Yeah, people reported the same issue with this router until there was a firmware update. It looks like mine was shipped with the latest update, though.

The N7 is the only one. There are a number of other devices on the network, too, including a Nintendo Wii, Nexus 5, LG smart TV, girlfriend's old HTC phone, a sony blue-ray player, a mac laptop, and a chromecast.

It's still working without a hitch on the guest network, too.

6. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    I have seen a few routers with badly implemented firmware work just fine with one security protocol but become unstable/unusable when changed to another.

I never suggested it as a lifestyle change, only a test.

7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Have you tried assigning the tab a static IP (that can fix a number of network problems).

Look for an app on Play called WiFi Analyser to see if the channel being used is congested and try changing to a different one via your routers admin panel.

8. LaFlavor

None

Feb 8, 2010
    Yeah, it's probably just overall laziness. For some reason it's working on the guest network with the same security settings. If I get some time, I'll give it a shot.

I did try setting a static IP, to no avail. I'll check the app tonight, but I think there's only one other network in range at all.