• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi connected, but no internet??

I have encountered this problem before and may have found a fix... well for me at least. Login to your router and change your router type to either "B" or "G". Don't put "B/G". I don't know why but i had the same problem as you. I just played around with my wireless router and changed the Type from "B/G" to B or G only and it works fine.

Thanks buddy i am using htc wildfire was facing same issue tried ur step it worked thanks

Upvote 0
I've had this same problem since I installed a new wireless router. Inspire connects to router but no access to web.

I now have access through this router. I took a note from a previous poster about B/G settings in the router. The choices in my router were: B/G/N, B/G or just N. It was set to B/G/N by default. I changed it to B/G just to see if it made a difference and bingo, my phone know connects to the web.

My guess is that some phones can't deal with N settings in the router setup.

Hope this helps somebody.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Hi, it seems that the matter of issue depends on individual factors. That's how I got to the root of it:

1) tried to ping my HTC Sensation from laptop in my LAN. Success!
2) then pinged an URL from laptop and got the ip (smth. like 'ping nba.com').
3) I enered ip of the website in HTC browser and got the page of NBA on the screen.

Obviously in my case it's DNS issue.

I got into my router settings and found out DHCP service was configured for my ISP's name servers. (somehow it worked for laptops, iPhone and Nokia devices, but not android)

I changed DHCP DNS1 to the LAN IP of my router and got internet on HTC after router reboot. Simple as that!

Router: TP-LINK TL-WR841N (WMM enabled, mixed b/g/n mode on, dhcp on, hidden WLAN on, automatic WPA2 security mode)

Device: HTC Sensation (Android 2.3.4)

Try it!

Upvote 0
I recently bought SG2, tried to connect to office wifi using the domain name/password. PEAP/MSCHAPv2 and wpa2 enterprise connection. It is successfully connected to router and obtains IP(no IP conflict). but when I open browser no connection.

Downloaded ping app, tried pinging to my laptop it worked but when i tried pinging to default gateway no response.

With the help of some replies in internet I dowloaded server certificates and tried to put it to mobile. but it will not accept the .cer and .crt format ones. As it tells in posts it only accepts .p12 format. but no one in my office knows how to get that format and I didnt get satisfactory asnwer in internet.

my office will not allow any static IP to set.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue, and it appears that the device has internet connection but cannot resolve DNS. I can ping and traceroute IP addresses, but not domain names.

Does anyone know how to flush DNS cache or hard-code DNS servers only, on android devices?

I can't do all the static IP or router config BS because it happens across multiple networks which I don't always have control over.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

Just got my first Android device, and was pretty disappointed to find out that I can't access internet through office wireless, while back home everything is fine. My old Nokias (N82/Symbian, and N810/Maemo) work just fine on both networks without any problems/interventions, which would suggest that this is something Android specific.
I can not change office router settings, and setting static IPs is not an elegant solution, which in my case does not work either.
I can ping the router, but URL names nor outside IP addresses are not accessible.

Anyone found any solutions so far?

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I have been using Galaxy ACE running Gingerbread 2.3.4 (stock rom) and it's perfect at last two months. Since last week I have weird problem that when I connect to the wifi (shared by laptop running win7 pro + connectify), the host will go bluescreen.

After a week of research, now my laptop won't go bluescreen anymore and the wifi is connected but I only can connect to the internet for the first two minutes. Afterward the connection is lost somewhere. The wifi is verified to be running by three devices: another laptop running win 7, Samsung Wave S8500 running Bada OS, and Huawei Ideos U8800 X5 running Gingerbread 2.3.7.

I have read and tried solutions from the forums. AllShare do nothing about it. I tried static IP and it fails. I tried 'My wifi fix' app and no results. Also I have tried rebooting wifi driver with '*#*#526#*#*' and nothing. I deleted the DHCP_list as well and no result. I connected to KIES and it says no firmware update for me.

I dig through the settings and assured that my galaxy obtained an IP from DHCP server. I rooted the phone, installed terminal emulator and try to ping the local gateway (wifi IP 192.168.2.1) and it says 100% packet loss.

Now my troubleshooting is stuck and I have no idea what to do next. Anyone can help?

Meanwhile I'll keep reading and trying.....

Upvote 0
What fixed mine was...
I am using a wireless router in the kitchen. I was using an old wired router to connect my printer and computer in the bedroom. The wired router had dhcp disabled and i was only using the 4-port switch on it. On my Galaxy S2, I was able to ping every node on my network but unable to get internet. As soon as I unplugged the wired router, I was able to get internet. Since then, I purchased a new wired switch (signal not good) for my bedroom. No problems since.

Upvote 0
hi guys, i just got the same problem with my galaxy s2.
my sgs connected to my macbook. the wifi signal was good, but no internet access.

so i tried to reset the NVRAM and PRAM of my macbook.
and now the wifi is working great just like before.

if you guys using macbook as your wifi router,
you can try this.

this is the link how to reset NVRAM and PRAM
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Goodluck!

Upvote 0
I just connect my evo with my home network, and it finds network ok and everyting.
I even see 4 wifi signal bars on my evo screen, but no internet connection. I am using my laptop through that wifi now without any issue.

I am using netgear WGR614 g/bwireless router.

Anyone knows what is the problem?

Here is what I did:

1) Open "Network and Sharing Center".
2) Click "Change adapter settings" on the right.
3) Alternate click the wireless network connection that you are trying to use and select "Status".
4) Click on "Details"
5) Use "Static IP" on your Android device and enter those settings you saw in step 4.Screenshot: i.imgur.com/bTzSC (Apparently I'm not allowed to post pics in my first post)
6) Enter an IP address on your Android device. But it should not be the same as the one in the pic. Put for eg. 192.168.1.88(In my case).

It should work.

Upvote 0
I have encountered this problem before and may have found a fix... well for me at least. Login to your router and change your router type to either "B" or "G". Don't put "B/G". I don't know why but i had the same problem as you. I just played around with my wireless router and changed the Type from "B/G" to B or G only and it works fine.

I just changed the Type and it worked!!! Well,let's see 2-3 more days what will happen. Hope the problem fixed! Anyway THX!

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with an LG thrill. Seems like these are all router/network interface issues. After doing a factory reset on my dlink dir-615, and having the same connecting but not really problem, I found that switching my dns to the google addresses mentioned previously, and disabling "wmm" seems to have corrected my problem. I am now able to get data through my wifi connection.

Upvote 0
SOLVED using "Wifi Manager"
this to whom those connected to WIFI and no internet access.. my problem with a mikrotik server
my phone browser wasn't direct me to the log in server page

solved when i use a static ip

ip - 192.168.16.101 --> access point IP range
Subnet- 255.255.255.0 --> access point subnet
Getway- 192.168.16.1 --> the real router IP not the access point nor the mikrotik server
DNS1- 192.168.16.1 --> the real router IP not the access point nor the mikrotik server

Upvote 0
For the people who are finding difficulty in getting connected to Office enterprise wifi connection you just have to wait some more time till you get the ICS or you can flash the custom ROM. I assume gingerbread can't handle the server certificates efficiently. therefore it will connect to network but Gateway will be unreachable. I tried with the latest android 4.0.3 firmware, it connected without any issue. But I will wait till I get the Stable MOD for that.

Upvote 0
Having trouble with no internet connection problem also, what is different is that my emails will not come through if WIFI is enabled at home. If I turn off WIFI then, my connection will send emails and be able to get on internet. Just using the phone's connection. Not sure why my emails can not come through my phone connection when WIFI is turned on for the phone though?

Will look at DD-WRT settings, not sure if problem started after flashing an old router for my Dish Network connection with this box. Or one of the latest updates on phone's firmware is the problem with Internet connection.

I am on Sprint with unlimited, but updating podcast feeds you need a WIFI connection for faster downloads.

EVO 4G phone
Android version: 2.3.5

Upvote 0
Hey dudes, I was having the same problem on my android operating smartphones. Couldn't connect to wifi in some cases and had to use allshare app. I was then able to connect but had no internet. So what I did was create a password protected (WEP) guest network on my wireless settings on my router page, put a passphrase in and generated a keyphrase to use as the password and voila, immediate wifi connection and internet on the phones. Good luck!

Upvote 0
today 13 feb 2012

problem i face today htc phone connect to wifi but no internet access.

what i do:

1. on yr wifi connect to the network that u need
2. than in yr phone menu, setting, wireless & network
3. wi-fi setting
4. when inside the screen, press menu again
5. advance
6. during IP setting, u will see the USE STATIC IP,
7. UNCLICK
8. DONE
9. it can work by now

Upvote 0
after trying all the above, i went into my router settings and updated my dns values for dns 1 and 2 to the google public dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

It could be that the dns entries i had set were not reachable by the evo, but they were able to be used by my laptop and other devices.

I would give that a try.

I had tried this setup using static ip but i was trying to use ip settings to the new google open network, did not work. I have been sooo frustrated because I just started experiencing this connectivity problem(trying to obtain ip address). It worked fine after upgrade to 2.2, so I was very confused! I hate to use a static ip, but if I have to, my problem is solved for now using my ip settings w/google dns!
Thank you sooo much!!!
Tc~xoxo

Upvote 0
I had tried this setup using static ip but I was trying to use ip settings to the new google open network, did not work. I have been sooo frustrated because I just started experiencing this connectivity problem(trying to obtain ip address). It worked fine after upgrade to 2.2, so I was very confused! I hate to use a static ip, but if I have to, my problem is solved for now using my ip settings w/google dns!
Thank you sooo much!!!
TC~XOXO

Upvote 0
Ok,

There seem to be some variants of this problem. I've had, and worked around the DNS variant tonight on a hotel wifi in Argentina. I did it by using the static ip workaround setting the DNS 1 server to be the same as the gateway address rather than the DNS IP provided by DHCP, and leaviny DNS 2 blank.

What's interesting though is that I have TWO android devices and the problem and workaround were identical for both. One is an Archos tablet running android 2.2.1, the other an HTC Desire Z running 2.3.3, both with their latest manufacturer firmware. My girlfriend's iphone had no issues with the same WAP.

I believe that this fairly solidly proves that this is an ANDROID issue and not related to specific hardware.

I have also discovered, after playing with the settings some more, that the problem is with only ONE of the specific DNS IPs being supplied by DHCP. I can use the other, manually set on its own, with no problems. The problem IP is 192.168.67.15 - a private range IP, wheras the working one is a 192.14 - ie a public address. I believe this might be the key to getting this resolved if anyone from Google is reading this. The network is 192.168.0.0/24 with a gateway at 192.168.0.1. My subnet mask is definitely set to 255.255.255.0 as well (and the DHCP sets this correctly too) though it seems a possible explanation that android is somehow not using the correct mask for 192.168 networks. In any case it seems to me a strong possibility that android is doing something odd related to private IPs.

I hope this post is useful to anyone experiencing this issue; please please, anyone who can confirm or discount what I've observed here, please share what you found.

Upvote 0
Had this issue with my HTC wildfire s, and tried many of the suggestions above to no avail. However, disabling wifi proxy settings worked for me.
Here's how:
Settings> wireless & networks > wifi settings.
Press the menu button. select advanced. Go to proxy settings. Uncheck enable/disable proxy.

Fixed! Hooray!

BTW, the HTC wildfire s sucks. Very little internal memory makes it difficult to do anything a smart phone should be capable of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones