• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi connection - Flaky or no signal

asterix007

Nov 29, 2009
I received my N7 yesterday. It looks wonderful. The set up was easy. It connected to my home 802.11N router easily and everything seemed to work. However the WiFi connection would fluctuate, the bars would reduce, turn gray and then the connection would get broken. I had a laptop and Droid Razr connected to the same WiFi router, right next to the N7, neither of them showed any degradation in Wifi or a connection loss. Both Droid and laptop showed a steady and much better connection speed.

After some digging on the internet I've discovered that the WiFi card and the WiFi Antenna on the N7 can get separated if the back cover is even very slightly displaced. Once they get separated, the Wifi connection would get lost. I confirmed that the Wifi card and the antenna are not connected by a cable (as is the case on most Wifi designs). So even a slight displacement of the back cover would results in bad or no WiFi connection. Seems like bad hardware design to me..

Has anyone had similar experiences? Please advise what should I do..

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones