• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi connection in screen safe mode

joemonkey

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2010
Seattle, WA
i connect to wifi at home. however, when the phone goes into screen safe mode, the wifi icon is not there. only after i swipe the phone to get back to the menu, then i see the wifi icon.

does it mean wifi is disabled when the phone is in screen safe mode? it appears i do not always get notification for new text when the mode is in screen safe mode. it's sporadic.

If by 'safe-mode' you mean 'sleep' then yes, your Wifi will remain connected. You should also continue to receive SMS and email messages, if they're setup to automatically check.

yes, i did mean to say 'sleep mode'. however, in the swipe screen, the wifi icon does not show up until after i swipe to get into the home screen. is that normal? i gather if i do not see the wifi icon, then wifi is not connected. i would assume the wifi icon should be there regardless of what mode or screen i am in once connected, right?

also, would you tell me how to verify 'setup to automatically check' just to make sure i have the correct settings.

Upvote 0
I beg to differ.

When your phone goes into sleep mode the wifi disconnects, and then once you turn the phone back on it connects again.

Unless you go into the Wi-Fi sleep policy settings and change this.

You can select to turn it off "when screen turns off" - default I believe,

"Never turn off when plugged in" OR

"Never".

This is completely seperate to receiving sms/mms, which use your sim card conection. e.g. 3G

Email will come down using either 3G or Wifi.

Cheers

Upvote 0
FitzysX10 is exactly correct. Further too his information you can add.......that wifi will in fact turn off after a predetermined amount of time and if there is no data transferring. For example if you use AN MSN client like agilemessanger it wil ping the wifi to stay alive or if you are downloading/installing via the market this too will keep the wifi connected but only as long as its in use. Regardless of screen status.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones