• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi connection problems

jazziehnz

Lurker
May 19, 2013
My phone won't automatically connect to saved wireless networks. It worked fine when I got the phone but has been gradually getting worse. For it to connect I have to open a app the uses WiFi or shut WiFi off and turn it back on. I also can't view open wireless networks unless ithe "available WiFi networks" icon pops up. Which it rarely does. It also disconnects for no reason and does not reconnect.

My phone won't automatically connect to saved wireless networks. It worked fine when I got the phone but has been gradually getting worse. For it to connect I have to open a app the uses WiFi or shut WiFi off and turn it back on. I also can't view open wireless networks unless ithe "available WiFi networks" icon pops up. Which it rarely does. It also disconnects for no reason and does not reconnect.

Hi jazziehnz. Welcome to the forums.

I'm thinking that since you first got the device, and things were fine, you've likely added an app or widget or two, plus perhaps an update has come along (for apps and the system). Those things can gradually (or suddenly) cause issues here and there in the system, including with regard to network and wifi functionality.

A simple but time consuming method of testing all that is to merely go into the Application Manager and remove cache and data from all downloaded apps and widgets, then reboot. You'll have to reconfigure the items on which you cleared data.

An additional step that can help is to remove your battery, sd card and SIM card briefly (with the device already shut down).

If things look ok, there you go. ;) If not, it may be time for a factory data reset, but I doubt that. It's' always there just in case, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones