• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi connectivity issues, please help :(

s2005

Feb 22, 2012
So I just picked up my N7 last night. Walmart had 4 in stock!

I'm loving it so far, except I can't get it to stay online. I think its my router. Its about 2 years old. A little less... Its a Netgear RangeMax N150 (WPN824N)

It will barely stay connected, and won't stream Transformers (I don't really care about said movie, I just want to test it out). Not sure if it is because my router is a couple years old or what, but I need to get this figured out.

What about tethering? Is that a viable option?

Reason I ask. My boss at work has a droid RAZR and I can use is Bluetooth for internet tethering.

I have an atrix2 and it doesn't have Bluetooth tether. It does have USB tether but I don't know how to use it... I'm guessing I need some special cable?

Upvote 0
I love my Netgear N150, about $40 at Walmart or cheaper on fleeBay. If you feel you need to spend more, the N300 is good too. (I've used my N7 on both.)

What do I like about it? So easy the non-computer savvy girl in the cube next to me at work set it up herself. You plug it in, it checks for a firmware update and updates itself. I used to go the Linksys/Cisco route, but ran into issues and like this one better. My day job is in IT if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Well it will let surf really slowlt, but streaming video is out of the question... it just won't load...

If I do get a new router, what do you recommend? I don't wanna spend a ton... maybe 50$

I love my Netgear N150, about $40 at Walmart or cheaper on fleeBay. If you feel you need to spend more, the N300 is good too. (I've used my N7 on both.)

What do I like about it? So easy the non-computer savvy girl in the cube next to me at work set it up herself. You plug it in, it checks for a firmware update and updates itself. I used to go the Linksys/Cisco route, but ran into issues and like this one better. My day job is in IT if that makes a difference.

^^^^^ :D

You should check your internet speed while on wire and wireless as well as on your other devices. I'd hate to see you blow $$ if you don't need to.

Reactions: s2005
Upvote 0
same type of problem. recently got a a new server claiming to be very fast and new router from apple which if tablet is more than 30 feet away will work but works very very very slowly. If close to router it works fine. thought it might be a problem with the apple router but now not so sure. Wife has my retirement iPad and does not have this problem. Any advise.?

Upvote 0
just got off from "just answers" regarding why nexus 7 shows strong reception from my router but will not connect. I am told the nexus 7 has issues connecting to some routers and that google -asus is working on the problem. Has anyone got more info ?--little po'ed that product released in defective form if my info is correct .

Upvote 0
In the beginning my N7 was often not making the connection when you click a link. I googled the problem and found 1) someone saying that his N7 was not working at all with Netgear routers. Mine is a very old Netgear router and it was mostly working. Then 2) someone suggested using static instead of dhcp. This cleared up the problem for me. For some people this does not work. I hope this helps a few people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones