1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Wifi connects, but no data transfer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Charlie Wilson, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Charlie Wilson

None

Feb 24, 2016
    Male
    I have a strange problem for which I've been unsuccessful finding a resolution. I have a Verizon Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) running Android 5.0 (build OK3) and I've recently noticed that I don't get any data transfer when connected via wifi. I've had the phone for about 18 months and this has only recently become an issue.

When I'm connected via LTE, everything works fine. When I connect via wifi the connection gets made and it appears as if I get all of my IP credentials (IP addr, GW, DNS, etc), but data does not work. I can ping myself, but I cannot ping the default gateway. I've tried this on multiple networks (home, work, public), which have included both secure and open wireless LANs, without success. Other devices work just fine on these WLANs.

I've tried to statically configure my IP credentials without success. I've gone through the Advanced wifi menu and set/reset all of the settings hoping that it would kick the driver into gear and start working, but that hasn't worked either. I did have Developer Options turned on, but have since turned that off thinking that I may have accidentally put it into some debug mode.

When I use the IP Tools app and have LTE connected, I see an IPv4 address at the top of the main screen and see an IPv6 address for my "Internal IP". However, when I connect via wifi, I see "0.0.0.0" at the top of the main screen and see my valid IPv4 address for my "Internal IP". This seems like a problem.

If I issue a "netstat" command in a console, I see the following (which looks like a problem to me):
    Proto Local Addr Foreign Addr State
    tcp 0.0.0.0:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    udp 0.0.0.0:53 0.0.0.0:* CLOSE
    udp 0.0.0.0:67 0.0.0.0:* CLOSE
    [then a bunch of IPv6 addresses that look like the LTE address with states of CLOSE_WAIT, ESTABLISHED, and CLOSE]

I have *not* done a factory reset because I'd rather find a solution before going through all that pain if it doesn't solve the issue. The only correlation that I can think of is that I recently did some "cleanup" by uninstalling some apps and I moved others to the SD card. My current theory is that one of these apps didn't correctly uninstall and therefore screwed up some sort of networking bindings.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Charlie Wilson

None

Feb 24, 2016
    Male
    Okay, after experiencing this for at least a couple of weeks, it's disappeared as quickly as it arrived.

When I use the IP Tools app and have LTE connected, I still see an IPv4 address at the top of the main screen and see an IPv6 address for my "Internal IP". However, now when I connect via wifi, I see a public IPv4 address at the top of the main screen (instead of 0.0.0.0) and see my valid IPv4 address for my "Internal IP". If I issue a "netstat" command in a console now, I now see local private IPv4 addresses and public foreign IPv4 addresses with ESTABLISHED states.

Oh well, I'm happy it's now working, but I'm still curious what might have been going on in case it happens again.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.