1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Wifi connects, but won't load

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by klox, Aug 25, 2011.

1. klox

klox Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Hey all,

I just rooted the phone with ace-hack-kit-v12.3. Everything went well right up until trying to download ROM Manager from the marketplace. The browser wouldn't load up the market webpage. If I turn off the WiFi and use the cell connection, pages work fine. Since it happened just immediately after I rooted, I'm thinking it was the root that caused it.

I used the ATT OTA Update Radio option. Not sure if it's relevant. I am very confused about all the nomenclature and what exactly the tutorial did. There's a lot of talk about loading different ROMs and different radios and it isn't quite making sense to me yet.

So I guess I have three questions. First is, is this WiFi thing fixable? I heard of there being a sound issue with a ROM and that other ROMs might have it fixed. Is there something similar for a WiFi problem?

Second is, I have to install Clockworkmod Recovery from the cell-network or from by sideloading. How do I do a side-loading? Do I switch the USB connection from charge only to disk drive and then put the files I want into the DCIM directory (is that the SD card?)? Then how do I flash the ROM? I feel like I've read this somewhere once, but I've been way too confused at this point.

Third is, what is the exact method to returning to the stock OS. Is it just running going into "Return to Stock" menu and typing "1 2 3"? Just in case...

Thanks! Btw the Hboot says its s-off and it's got the following stuff:
    Android 2.2
    Baseband 12.39a.60.19U_26.06.06.30_M
    Kernel 2.6.32.21-g3c08447

Advertisement

2. pagesk

pagesk Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Civil Engineer
    Seattle
    This is the exactly same position that I'm in.

3. klox

klox Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    I've fixed it this way:

Download the Gingerbread Rom from here: [ROM] Inspire 4G Stock Rom w/Root, HSUPA, and Sideloading - xda-developers
    Download the radio w/ RCDATA and ril file on the 2nd post from Inspire Radio Thread [OP Updated July 12, 2011] - xda-developers

When you plug in your Inspire to your computer, set it to be a disk drive. That WAS the SD card for me (8 GB roughly). Follow the instructions to installing the Radio/ril files at the top of the first post on the second link. Basically for radio, move PD98IMG.zip to the root of the disk drive that's been mounted. Then shut off your phone and get to hboot (hold power and bottom volume button). Wait until it autodetects the .zip file then hit volume up to install. Reboot and remount the drive. Move the RIL file over to the root of the disk drive and remove the radio file. Shut down, get to hboot. Then go to recovery menu, then select mount menu, then mount the /system and /sd drives. Go back to the previous menu and select install zip from SDcard. Select the corresponding zip file from the drive. Reboot.

FINALLY, remount the drive, delete the zip file from root, and move the ROM from the first link over. Then go to ROM Manager app (I downloaded it using the cell network since that still worked) and do an install from SD card. That will prompt you to back stuff up. Select backup and to clear all memory (just check everything). Then hit enter and in about 10 minutes you'll have Gingerbread, wifi, and a working everything (as far as I can tell).

Hope this helps.

4. fielddb

fielddb Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    here is what u did do, u successfully rooted your device, congratulations!
    what u need to do now is flash clockwork mod using ROM manager.if u need help with this, pm me. Second, you need to have a ROM downloaded, and then placed onto the root of the SD card. Many ROM's can be found here. Inspire 4G Android Development - xda-developers

once installed to the root of your SD card, you can now flash you first custom ROM. (WARNING DO NOT EXTRACT THE FILES, LEAVE IT AS IS(.zip))
    their are two was to flash a ROM, either by using ROM manager, or by manually restarting into clockwork mod. Since this is your first ROM,I recommend using ROM manager.
    1. under ROM Management, click on Install ROM from SD Card
    2. Scroll and find the .zip file
    3. When window pops up with 3 selections, make sure is all checked, even backup, just in case something goes wrong.
    4. Your phone will restart into clockwork mod, it will run on it own, make sure you don't press anything during this process.
    5. The first boot up will take awhile.
    6. Enjoy your new a ROM

everything should be fixed, any problems, please pm me

rooted HTC Inspire 4G
    RC3D MIX with HTC Sense 3.0