• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi constantly connects & disconnects with WPA2 security

redgtconv

Nov 3, 2009
When my router is set to WPA the Droidx connects and stays connected. But when I change to WPA2 it keeps connecting and disconnecting every few seconds. This leaves me with a choice of less security for my entire network, or no wifi for the Droidx. I have seen this problem mentioned on the Motorola support page, but I have not heard of any resolution. Does anyone have a fix for this? I am using the new Froyo 2.2 OTA update.

I've had this happen to me exactly once - turned WIFI off and then back on and it hasn't happened since. Give it a shot.

I have tried everything!!! I just read in the Motorola support forums that they became aware of this shortly before the 2.2 release and will have a fix in their next ota update (whenever that may be. That means that everyone should be having this problem. I know the people complaining on the Motorola site, have Netgear routers, and so do I, so it is possible that it only affects people with Netgear routers.

Upvote 0
I have tried everything!!! I just read in the Motorola support forums that they became aware of this shortly before the 2.2 release and will have a fix in their next ota update (whenever that may be. That means that everyone should be having this problem. I know the people complaining on the Motorola site, have Netgear routers, and so do I, so it is possible that it only affects people with Netgear routers.

Interesting.. I've got a Netgear router and just had it happen again. Did what Paycer suggested and it's fixed... for now.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I got my brand new Droid X three weeks ago with 2.1 installed. It's been working 100% fine for the last three weeks until today when I received the 2.2 OTA update. The phone is stock, not rooted.

When I got home, all hell broke loose with WiFi. My Linksys router and the Droid X were connecting without ONE drop all month until tonight when I got home and started tinkering with 2.2 to see what's changed. Unfortunately, the WiFi connection connects, authenticates, gets an IP, drops, scans, connects, authenticates, etc. over and over and over. It's maddening!

So I have been working just fine all this time and 2.2 hits and BAM! Nothing but pain. I also have WPA2 for security and all my other devices are connecting just fine. Droid X is the only problem child at the moment and the only thing that's changed in the last 10 hours or so.

redgtconv mentioned this was noted at the Motorola forums so I'll look there next (if you can tell me where to look, I'd appreciate the pointer). If anyone has a fix please let us know!

Thanks,

Kevin

Upvote 0
Found a single setting on my router that I changed to get the Droid X to connect. I'm not entirely happy with the change but it works so I guess I'll go with it for now and see how it works out.

I had my router set on 2.4GHz mode to be Mixed (B/G/N). Changing it to N-only did nothing. Changing it to G-Only finally allowed the phone to connect. It's been connected since last night and I was able to successfully download all my apps again (since I tried a hard reset yesterday morning) and it's been connected all day so far.

Let us know if this works for you. It's odd that it did when it was working fine for three weeks on the same router/phone under 2.1. Must be a change in 2.2 though it should still be able to connect to a mixed B/G/N router in my opinion.

Good luck!

Kevin

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I got my brand new Droid X three weeks ago with 2.1 installed. It's been working 100% fine for the last three weeks until today when I received the 2.2 OTA update. The phone is stock, not rooted.

When I got home, all hell broke loose with WiFi. My Linksys router and the Droid X were connecting without ONE drop all month until tonight when I got home and started tinkering with 2.2 to see what's changed. Unfortunately, the WiFi connection connects, authenticates, gets an IP, drops, scans, connects, authenticates, etc. over and over and over. It's maddening!

So I have been working just fine all this time and 2.2 hits and BAM! Nothing but pain. I also have WPA2 for security and all my other devices are connecting just fine. Droid X is the only problem child at the moment and the only thing that's changed in the last 10 hours or so.

redgtconv mentioned this was noted at the Motorola forums so I'll look there next (if you can tell me where to look, I'd appreciate the pointer). If anyone has a fix please let us know!

Thanks,

Kevin

Same exact thing happened to me as soon as I received 2.2. I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 router. I'm not willing to drop down to G only though as I have many other N clients on my home network. This is unacceptable, and I hope a fix or workaround is released or discovered soon.

Upvote 0
I think I remember reading that turning on, "Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Menu > Advanced > Enable Auto IP" can sometimes help WiFi connection issues. I think its mention was intended more for those using Wireless-N, but it shouldn't hurt to enable it if it isn't already.

Just registered to say thanks for this. My wifi was bouncing along on it's own. Forcing this setting to enable Auto IP seems to have stabilized it as it's not bounced since. Thanks, somegeek

Upvote 0
I have had major issues with wifi connecting and disconnecting as well. After many days and hours, I believe I have found the issue. For some odd reason when I changed the 2.4ghz Wireless mode from 'up to 300Mbs' to the '54Mbs' legacy mode all was fixed and there are no more issues. I tried to run the router in 130Mbs and still had problems, but changing it to 54 definately was the cure. Hope this helps some people.

Upvote 0
Problem, phone will connect and then disconnect, this will happen all the time. Changes to WPA2 to WAP and so on did not help at all.

Wifi Router: Thomson TG789vn.
Phone Samsung S5570, Android 2.3.4. Same phone model with android 2.1 dot not work also.

Router Wifi settings : Configuration

Interface Enabled: Yes

Power Reduction Enabled: No

Physical Address: 08:76:ff:96:d5:e2

Network Name (SSID): Vandra Bussijaam

Interface Type: 802.11b/g/n

Actual Speed [Mbps]: 54

Band: 2.4GHz

Channel Selection: Auto

Region: Europe

Channel: 1

Allow multicast from Broadband Network: No

WMM: Disabled

Security

Broadcast Network Name: Yes

Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)

Security Mode: WPA-PSK

WPA-PSK Preshared Key: XXXXXXXXX

WPA-PSK Encryption: AES

WPA-PSK Version: WPA2

NB; also tested it with Android 2.3 phones like Samsung Galagy II and meny others. Local IPS informed me that this on known problem. I belive that android phones do not work correctly with Wifi G and N...

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I'm surprised more people don't notice this. I bet it's a problem with every DX.

Don't only go down to WPA, but also make sure you are set to TKIP, not AES and it should not disconnect anymore.

I have home and work set to that and no problems. Forgot I even had this issue until yesterday when I was on a WPA2 router and I constantly got disconnected.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones