1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

wifi/data power consumption

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by deanshep85, Aug 16, 2011.

1. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    I just wanna get the tech heads mind working on this one..

I have both wifi on and data on, but obviously only one will be used at any given time..

what I want to know is, is there any power consumption with them being 'on' but not used?

as in, when Wifi is on and data is not being used, but is on in the background, will data connection being draining battery? and likewise the other way round when im using data connection will wifi drain in the background?

I do have the 'search networks' turned off in wifi settings so its JUST finding and connecting to my network and mine only..

I did try some tasker profiles based on 'network' location, but they were a little problematical and a little weak in finding the area etc.

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    When WiFi is in use, data connection is not established so no drain there, but if data is in use WiFi does use power. I use tasker to schedule WiFi on and off based on the time I leave and return home. Found it makes a fair bit of difference.

I also tested WiFi connected data on/off with current widget and found no difference in power draw

3. deanshep85

None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    ah makes sense really...I did try the tasker thing, but I cant use time as I get out all hours of the day so cant ever be sure with that.....and the location just seemed quite weak to me, its because its running from polling network location rather than GPS, as I turn GPS off until needed for more battery saving.

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I never turn GPS off. Its not using power unless its active in the status bar.

5. deanshep85

None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    well then, if I reset the profile to turn wifi on/data off when im in my home location, but this time fix the location WITH both GPS & network for a better result, it should hold my location better shouldn't it?

if thats the case I can put the profile back on again.

6. Fishyweb

Fishyweb Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I use cell location combined with the "wifi near" context in Tasker to get it to switch wifi on at home. Seems to work very well, without having to use gps.

Tags: