• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wifi data usage going up why??...not using the phone!

naths

Jun 28, 2010
Could someone please tell me why when im sat at home with a wireless network my usage according to netcounter is climbing all the time...not worried when im on wifi...but what about when im on mobile network?...is it background data?..surely you can switch background data off and manually refresh when you need to??...how do i turn background data off??

mine stays switched off when i unlock it...its just that when i was sat down earlier this evening i was just playing with the phone had a look at netcounter and the wifi usage had shot up from earlier from around 3mb to to 17mb....on wifi i couldnt care less but if im out and about and on 3g and it goes up like that my data usage is going to be horrendus!!...iv come from a iphone 3gs and all the apps such as facebook,mail,ebay etc i used to refresh manually when i wanted, i just switched off push notifications..surely u can do the same on the Desire and just manually refresh the app your looking at,not have them automatically refresh and use data...anyone help here??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones