1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General wifi death grip

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fillyo, May 7, 2012.

1. fillyo

fillyo Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    My unit for sure has a wifi death grip, if i put my hand over the bottom left while in portrait mode, the signal just drops. Any one esle notice this?

Advertisement

2. APOPHiS420

APOPHiS420 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Male
    Web Designer
    USA
    very odd indeed. Ive tried several ways of doing just that and noticed no signal loss at all.

3. santo1

santo1 Lurker
    None

May 8, 2012
    Yes, this happens to me as well. Lower left corner, it does look like a real issue.
    Its weird that this is the only post about it. I guess everyone's using it with a case.

It drops to 1 bar from full strength

4. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    No.

If you are facing away from your wifi, it will drop. Turn 180 degrees towards your wifi, it will bounce back up full strength.

Wait a few seconds in-between, you'll see it and realize that it's the "front" of the device being blocked when turned away from the wifi source.

I would expect nothing less from most wifi devices without an external antennae.

5. njd23

njd23 Lurker
    None

May 9, 2012
    I replaced my iPad 1 with this Tab 2. The iPad didn't have an external antenna either, yet had no trouble getting wifi in the same places I am using my Tab now, being held the same way I hold the Tab now.

This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the Tab hardware.

6. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Ipad had the same problem, but only if you blocked the middle, ie one handed it in holding middle/bottom of it. That's where their internal antenna was.

Dare I even say it? Ok... you are holding it wrong :D:D

7. njd23

njd23 Lurker
    None

May 9, 2012
    That's not really acceptable though, with any tablet. I am right handed, so naturally I hold the tablet with my left hand and browse using my right hand. But doing so blocks the wifi reception apparently.

Also, when I hold my phone (razr maxx), I block the entire back side of the phone. Yet it receives wifi perfectly fine. I expect a tablet, which is larger than a cell phone, to have better wifi reception.

Not trying to argue with you , but you seem to be taking the wrong side on this issue. Have you personally tried using the Tab?

8. fillyo

fillyo Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    Well, now that I got my MoKo case, i am not holding it like that, wifi definately sucks a little, but not enough for me to return, I will live with it. My router is in the basement, I can still take a crap on the other side of the house and search the net. I'm fine.

9. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    You must have missed my post in another thread.

Drops visibly when very close to the wifi router... about 25ft line of site, and only when facing AWAY from it.

Cup that part with both hands and turn back towards the wifi router... full strength.

NOT A PROBLEM if you go further, I go on the back patio and face away, cup and I still have internets. This is about the limit for my house/setup for many other android devices.

So I'm thinking it's just a reporting issue on the signal strength when you have a great/excellent signal strength.

10. wxman2003

wxman2003 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    I have the same problem. Does it with either hand when placed on the back whether facing or back to wifi station. Does that with my Maxx. Did that with my iphone, and does it with my ipad 2. You cover the wifi antenna with your hand, and the signal will drop on every device. Some worse than others. With the Tab 2 signal will go from -50 dBm to -80 dBm in a matter of seconds when you cover the back with your hand.

11. the5thtech

the5thtech Lurker
    None

May 20, 2012
    I have the death grip issue on the lower left corner in the potrait mode. It seems certain hw issue if not all are experiencing it. I will swap it to a new unit.