• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi Direct is awesome!

I had my phone replaced by ATT because of a faulty charging port and was a little worried about transferring all of the content that wasn't saved to my SD card. I had about 8gb worth of files to transfer and with WiFi direct it only took around 10 minutes!

This is a function I seriously should be using more often between my 2 GN2's! Glad you brought it up, so I decided to do a little digging for some youtube videos on how it works exactly, so for those that want to use this more often, here you go:

How to Use Wifi DIrect - YouTube

Wifi Direct Explained: What it is, How it works & What it can do for you! - YouTube

Wi-Fi direct on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Sprint - YouTube

Last, but definitely not least, shout out to Mike for his ever helpful GN2 videos (this one talks about wifi-direct and a great app that I wasn't aware of before):
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Tips & Tricks Episode 42: Share Apps Using APK Share & Backup, Wi-Fi Direct - YouTube

-EDIT- Just to add, why the NFC touching phones thing is advertised more over wifi direct, I have no clue. Wifi Direct seems so much faster and more reliable.

Upvote 0
Yeah I never thought I would use that feature until now. Got kinda nervous when my phone wouldn't recognize it was connected, I had taken a ton of pictures the week before.

Here's the question though. Where do the files go?...LOL.

-EDIT- Nevermind. Found the answer through google search:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/s...=N0000002&subtype_ia_cd=N0000003&row_index=31

For the lazy:
My Files > sdcard (if available) > ShareViaWifi

I just transferred some files onto my International Note 2, but I didn't have a chance to search for them before coming back up to my office.

Upvote 0
This is a function I seriously should be using more often between my 2 GN2's! Glad you brought it up, so I decided to do a little digging for some youtube videos on how it works exactly, so for those that want to use this more often, here you go:

How to Use Wifi DIrect - YouTube

Wifi Direct Explained: What it is, How it works & What it can do for you! - YouTube

Wi-Fi direct on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Sprint - YouTube

Last, but definitely not least, shout out to Mike for his ever helpful GN2 videos (this one talks about wifi-direct and a great app that I wasn't aware of before):
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Tips & Tricks Episode 42: Share Apps Using APK Share & Backup, Wi-Fi Direct - YouTube

-EDIT- Just to add, why the NFC touching phones thing is advertised more over wifi direct, I have no clue. Wifi Direct seems so much faster and more reliable.

Nfc touching phones is S-Beam so is touted as a Samsung feature. Wi-Fi Direct is an evolution of the ad-hoc feature of Wi-Fi and obviously not a feature pioneered by Samsung. Other manufacturers and PCs uses/have this feature.

Upvote 0
Nfc touching phones is S-Beam so is touted as a Samsung feature. Wi-Fi Direct is an evolution of the ad-hoc feature of Wi-Fi and obviously not a feature pioneered by Samsung. Other manufacturers and PCs uses/have this feature.

That sums it up.

I agree wifi direct is badass. Does anyone know if the Htc One has this? A friend is considering getting one and it'd be handy to be able to move some music to his phone while we're at band practice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones