• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Direct - is it possible?

MrCarrot

Aug 1, 2012
I've read in places that the HTC Desire C should support wifi direct but I've found no evidence of it. In fact I read that Ice Cream Sandwich should support it full stop, but it's up to the phone vendors to implement it.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the Desire C? I'd like to be able to transfer pictures from a camera to the phone using wifi direct.

Hi
Not quite sure what you are using to get from camera to phone

I use an Eye-FI card in my camera, you can then get an android app Eye-FI or Eye-fi server to upload direct to phone tablet etc. must admit havn't tried android version only the itouch app but that was a pain to set up...
I usually take pictures and they download straight to computer when back home.

not sure what you are using but android would need some sort of app to talk to camera

If your camera has wifi built in try starting htc hotspot note the password you have set also security type and see if you can pick up phone and set pw etc on camera
if the camera transmits pw etc try searching for the wifi signal...
you have probably tried this but without the camera specs wifi or Eye-fi card its difficult to give an answer...
But if i get chance i shall try the apps see if the camera will deliver to Desire C when i take pictures - one sure way of getting them into drop box

Upvote 0
The camera has wifi built in. I can set the phone as a hotspot and upload the photos to various places or email them directly from the camera (via the phone's hot spot).

However, I would like to transfer them from the camera directly to the phone. The camera has the ability to do this using "wifi direct" which is a new method of transferring files between two wifi enabled devices (very much like Bluetooth). I read Ice Cream Sandwich supports wifi direct but can't find any mention of it on the Desire C.

Upvote 0
I've read in places that the HTC Desire C should support wifi direct but I've found no evidence of it. In fact I read that Ice Cream Sandwich should support it full stop, but it's up to the phone vendors to implement it.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the Desire C? I'd like to be able to transfer pictures from a camera to the phone using wifi direct.
Hi
Ok see what you mean

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-YCwBw&usg=AFQjCNGzBb9P8CL5tqqU2CmewgjpFhMlkQ

This link goes to a breakdown of the HTC Desire C Menu Map

In it you will see in the settings section in WI-FI there is a DLNA setting
and at the end of this section after "More" the settings for "WI-Fi direct"

Have checked my phone no "Wi-Fi Direct" but find the "DLNA" setting

Checked Internet re WI-FI Direct not much said see what else I can find

Upvote 0
To all of you without Wi Fi direct, i found something useful! As good as Wi Fi direct, since most of the phones have the TI WiFi transmission chip with WiFi direct feature, but no option in the menu [eg. Galaxy Sl i9003] and so on..

technomaniacz[dot]com/2012/07/enabling-wifi-ftp-on-phones-without[dot]html

aint no spam people!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones