1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support WiFi disconnects immediately

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sawatdee, Feb 18, 2011.

1. sawatdee

sawatdee Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    I have my router set up so that each of my machines has its Mac address reserved, including my Droid 2. I set up wifi on the droid 2 a couple of weeks ago and it connected every time and worked perfectly for a few days. But ever since it will not connect. It says "Connecting...." and then immediately says "Disconnected". I can connect to my neighbor's router which is completely open, but can no longer connect to mine even though I could for a few days.

Someone told me I should go into the Advanced menu of the WiFi settings and select a different peer to peer channel. Every time I do that it says, "Sorry! The application Settings has stopped unexpectedly" and gives me a "Force Close" button. I've tried uninstalling several applications and shutting down the system and removing the battery. Nothing works. I don't want to open up my router to any machines other than my specific mac addresses, which did work for a few days. Does anyone know how to get this system working with wifi so that it is reliable for more than 72 hours?

Advertisement

2. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    how far away are you from the router?

have you tried deleting the D2 wifi setting for that router then reinitializing it?

3. sawatdee

sawatdee Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    I played with it some more when I had time today. It seems like the router thought the device was still connected to its assigned IP address, but the phone thought it was disconnected. When the phone shuts down or goes dormant (or whatever it does when you are not using it), it loses its connection and has to reconnect when you bring it back to life. My theory is that there is some bug in that process that made the router think it was still connected, but the phone thought it was not. I did try deleting the phone from the router, but that did not work. I had to actually reboot the router, which made the router aware that the phone was not connected to it anymore, and that worked. It has been a few hours and it has reconnected every time I've brought it back up, but I have a hunch that after some number of days it will stop connecting again. I have had two other wireless devices connected to the same router with IP addresses assigned to their mac addresses for more than 6 months and this has never happened to either of them, so I am pretty sure it was the Droid 2. It is running Android version 2.3.20.A955.

4. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    can you check to make sure your wifi on the D2 is set to "never sleep"?

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

90% of wifi issues, given the settings/configuration is correct (MAC address, etc) are remedied by a simple router re-start. ;)

6. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    FL

This was my first thought, too. I believe the default is to turn off the wifi when the screen is off.