• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wifi doesnt work

cmelhall

Lurker
Oct 5, 2010
i got my htc desire about a month ago and it was no bother connecting it to the internet ...worked great ....
then a few days ago i dropped my phone in a puddle top first and it covered 3 quarters of my phone i dried it off best i could and it work straight away then went all funny and the touch screen wouldnt even work ...but now after leaving it for a few days its fine works all the same
apart from the wifi whenever i try to connect to it it says turning on then 30 seconds later error!
yet if i connect to my mobile network internet it works
could the water have damaged it or is it just something else ?

many thanks

The water fried it. I had a similar problem where my phone took a brief dunk in the lake, I dried it out and everything worked except the ability to connect to cellular services. Similarly I've had a PSP get wet and fry the WiFi antenna.

See if you can get it repaired, or if you're brave enough (and out of warranty), get a replacement part off eBay. I've opened up the Desire before and it wouldn't be too difficult to replace the wifi chip on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones