1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wifi Dropouts - Youtube - Radios - GingerVillain 1.0 Help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by williamj1, Feb 17, 2011.

1. williamj1

williamj1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    Having a bit of an issue with GingerVillain 1.0. I haven't moved my router or changed settings etc, but now when I'm in my room the signal is constantly dropping out (once every few minutes), making apps like iplayer and youtube unusable. However I tried in the same spot with my laptop and no problem is there, connection stays stable. I figured then, this must be to do with my phone having a weaker wifi chip, but it never used to have this. Until last week, I could get a perfectly strong, consistent connection. Any ideas?

Also, and this has only arisen since GV, when I first play a youtube video (in the app itself) it will play fine (bar dropouts) and this continues to be fine if I watch maybe up to 5 or 6 videos. Then, youtube just won't load videos after I have watched a few, even though I am still connected. It just sticks loading forever at the spinning circle loading the video. The internet connection is still active, as if this happens and I haven't had a dropout, I can still surf the web etc. It is just the youtube app that does this, but even more oddly it still loads content like comments, most viewed lists etc but will not load the video itself after watching 5/6 others. I have tried clearing data etc, and can't uninstall obviously as its preloaded in GV. Haven't a clue how to fix this one?

I flashed a new radio foolishly last week even though my old one was fine? Could this be the reason? All in all, it seems very odd, but is totally ruining my phone experience as I use it for an hour or two every night in my room, and now this prevents me from doing so.

Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

2. MikeC1408

MikeC1408 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    Essex
    I use GV 1.0 on my home wifi but I haven't had any issues like you describe.

I have not flashed a new radio so it could be the cause, but I'd wait till someone more experienced with radios sees this as they will better placed to comment on this. My radio in my signature is fine with GV 1.0

3. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK

Me neither. I haven't flashed a radio for ages. Actually, i have the same version as you.

4. williamj1

None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    So no solutions? I could try flashing a new radio I suppose, but kinda freaked by this now after I discovered this is one of the riskiest things you can do. Thank god my last flashing of one went ok!

Edit: Meant flashing new radio's.

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    ROM flashing isn't risky, but radio does have some hazards. I guess that's what you meant anyway.

What kernel are you using? I remember the changelog for the new 1.2 GV kernels saying that they allocate a bit more current to the WiFi to strengthen reception. Might be worth trying different kernels anyway, because kernels are a very low risk thing to flash and there's maybe a chance that will fix it. I notice that the rest of the posters, who are not seeing this problem, are all using EViollet's kernels (though these should be very similar to RichardTrip's).

6. williamj1

None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    Whoops. I know flashing ROMS is easy and safe. Flashing Radio's is easy, but then I found out it can permanently brick and am mega freaked out about doing it again?

I have never touched the kernal since day 1. How do I check?

Edit: In settings, it says kernal 2.6.35.9-defrost-bravotrip@triplaptop#708 :)

7. SUroot

None

May 25, 2010
    Download the 1.2 kernel from villainsetup or Eviollet from my Sig

8. kewlbuddy

kewlbuddy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Germany
    does full wipe removes this kernel automatically? ( when i want to flash a new rom)

9. williamj1

None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    Well which do you recommend? I don't even know what a kernal is :p
    And do you think this will solve it then?

10. SUroot

None

May 25, 2010
    It may well do.

See my rooting FAQ for what a kernel is.

No, wipe does not remove a kernel. Wipe wipes data, but you flash the kernel to system. Flashing another kernel or a rom will remove the current kernel.

kewlbuddy likes this.
  11. williamj1

None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    So by flashing a kernal, all data stays intact?

12. MikeC1408

MikeC1408 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    Essex
    Yes.

I flashed my kernel outside of the ROM flashing process and all data remained. I'd still make a back up before you flash the kernel just in case anything happens so you can rollback.

Tags: