1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

WiFi "error" message

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by firefox73, Jul 5, 2011.

1. firefox73

firefox73 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    Can anyone help please???

Had the stock phone and immediately rooted, only to remove the network lock.

Wi-Fi appeared to work normally initially (for the 5 mins before flashing).

Flashed stock CF-Root then Litening Rom. All well with Wi-Fi on first inspection of the Rom. However when I went and picked the phone up again 30mins later I could not get the WiFi to turn on and it displayed "error" everytime under the check box in Wi-Fi settings.

I reflashed CF-Root and Wi-Fi work ed initially but again 15 mins later when I returned when the phone was awakened from standby, it would only give me 3G and not Wi-Fi, with the same "error" when I tried to turn WiFi on.

I tried flashing Villain Rom 1.4, I cleared the cache and restored it to factory settings prior to this but still nothing? Just in case, I also tried the optional Modem file that Villain suggest and again nothing.

What else can I try or what is causing this? I don't understand why the Wi-Fi originally worked for a bit then gives up?

Really appreciate your help forum :)

Advertisement

2. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Editted the original post with further actions done.

3. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the Tax man
    Cotswolds, England
    Your problem seems to stem from your Lightning custom ROM.

Maybe an incorrect radio version.

Either revert to stock or flash another ROM.

You may get more specific answers by re-posting in the Galaxy ROM forum here:-

Galaxy S2 - All Things Root - Android Forums

Hope this helps. :D

firefox73 likes this.
  4. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    I had tried installing another ROM Litening > Villain but no fix.:(

Have just contacted the Moderators to try and get this moved (believing now that it is a ROM issu rather than a phone issue) to the Root forum.

5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Thread moved as requested.

6. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    I just don't get it. I've just flashed with 2.3.4. Piece of cake to flash but yet my WiFi still shows as "error" when I try and turn it on.

FYI my about phone shows:

Android Version: 2.3.4
    Baseband Version I9100XXKG1
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XXKG1-CL349526 se.infra@SEP-39 #2
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXKG1

What more can I do? Please really do need some expert advise on this. Thanks guys.

7. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    XXKG1 seems to be a very newly released version, about an hour before you flashed it, and you seem to be paying the price for experimental mod's and kernels.

Just try flashing say, XXKF2 ROM and stock kernel from here:-

[ROM + Guide]Official i9100 KE7/KE8/KF1/KF3/KF4/KF2/KF3 download and Root Guide. - xda-developers

If this restores your WiFi then you've found your answer.

If not, there is more information on radio versions here:-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1131950

Failing that, I'm guessing you downloaded your last ROM from xda developers, I would suggest reading the relevant thread to ascertain if anyone else is experiencing the same problem with the ROM or maybe post your problem there. They are, in mt experience, quite helpful.

Hope this helps. :D

Fisse and firefox73 like this.
  8. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks Ironass

I did as you advised both with the KE2 and also with the Modem file associated with KE2 but again nothing.:(

My about phone now reads Android version: 2.3.3
    Baseband version I9100XXKDJ
    Kernel version 2.65.35.7-I9100XWKE2-CL187606 root@Dell101 #2
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

I had tried XDA forums but it generated less info than on here. I may try revisiting it with a new thread.

I believe with all these ROMs that I've tried, whether this is as good as flashing the phone to original. Whether that would make any difference? If so, does anyone know where I can go to get the files for a 3 (UK) GT-I9100.

Really surprised that no one seems to recognise this fault and a workaround.

Cheers

9. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England

Attached Files:

10. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Ok, I'll give that one a go.

I'll install the larger file then the kernal.

My harddrive is bursting with all these ROMs and kernals. Trying more or less anything to see if I can get them to work!!!

Should get back to you in about 20 mins when they've downloaded.

TTFN

11. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Nope, no joy.:(

Tried reseting before and after each restore by resetting to factory settings.

After first install about phone looked like:

Baseband version: I9100XXKF2
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XXKF2-CL253204 se.infra@sep-35 #2
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXKF2

After kernel installed wih again manual reset.

it then became:

Baseband version: I9100XXKF2
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XXKF2-CL253204 se.infra@sep-35 #2
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXKF2 i.e. exactly the same.

Does this help. Really pulling my hair out over this. I can't fathom what it could be? It worked fine initially prior to the flashing.

The phone appears to be trying to turn the 3G off as the signal on 3G disappears briefly but the signal on 3G comes back when the "error" message appears.

Hope this points you in the right direction? If I can be of ay further assistance, please drop me a line and I will answer asap:)

12. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Still working on this......

I've even flashed it back to the 'Three' firmware, yet still the WiFi doesn't work.

I'm wondering if there is something from all these flashes that may still be resident on the phone. I know when I first flashed it, one of the downloads came with a PIT file. All the sites I've subsequently seen all say DON'T touch the PIT file! I'm wondering whether this could be the cause of the problem by me putting on a different PIT file. If so, how do I find a PIT file that is compatible with any other of the firmwares as they don't usually come with one seperate, I think they are either without the PIT file or built into the PDA file?

13. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    You are more likely to get a definitive answer from xda than one I could offer... which I see you have done:-

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] About the PIT file

I'm guessing that this is probably where your problem lies in that you have flashed an incompatible PIT file to the phone which is not being replaced by subsequent flashes as it has configured the partitions incorrectly and is effectively blocking them.

I'm afraid to say that this is out of my area of expertise and that you are more likely to get a solution from xda... unless someone on here knows better!

Good luck anyway.

14. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks again for your honest opinion.

Yes, as you've seen, I've cast my net over Andriodforums and XDA-dev in the vain hope that someone will have some advice on this matter. Unfortunately, it must be quite a rare issue, as there doesn't seem to be any decent threads on it, nor much response.

I don't know much about kernels but I know zip really about PIT. Hopefully someone far wiser than me can point me in the right direction as to how to reinstate the correct PIT with the correct flash, if indeed this is the problem?

15. firefox73

None

Jun 24, 2010
    I've also place this on the XDA forum in the hope that a wise age may know the true meaning of this hiden menu.

There is a hidden menu which you can access by typing *#*#526#*#* in the phones keypad. This is the WlanTest menu which I would imagine should help resolving the issues I and some others may experience with their Wlan's.

When I type this, I get the message "Driver loading unsuccessful". If I tap the menu button I can also see a Transmit and a Receive test which give me details about the settings of the phones WiFi.

Does anyone else know how to correct the Driver loading and also what the SGS2 should typically be set to regarding the transmit and receive settings (here in the UK). This may help others who are experiencing different problems related to the Wifi, possibly even those that are experiencing weak signal strengths or dropping signals?

I appreciate your support.

Regards

16. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Just downloaded and installed 2.3.4 and this version came with the relevant .PIC file for you to flash, which I'm thinking, may help you with your problem.

There are 2 downloads. One is for the ROM package, including Odin, and the other is a step-by-step PDF guide, including pictures (my favourite type :D).

Since the .PIC file is directly related to this vanilla ROM I thought it might solve your problem.

See the article and downloads, here:-

Galaxy S II 2.3.4 Gingerbread update leaks, you can try it now - GSMArena.com news

Really hope this helps. :D

firefox73 likes this.
  17. Jakow

Jakow Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    I had the same problem with my Galaxy S2 after replace file wpa_supplicant in system directory...in the end I had to flash my phone with 2.3.4 gingerbread and the problem was solve...
    sorry for my bad english and good luck for everyone who will have this problem..

18. pbanno

pbanno Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    I have recently got a Galaxy s2 and have the same problem as above. Wifi is not automatically found and there is an error message displayed underneath. Jakow, you seem to have a solution to this problem but i'm not familiar with these technical issues. Would it be possible for you to explain to me step by step in layman's terms how you activate the wifi search?

Thanks.

19. skeldon87

skeldon87 Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I Have exactly same problem, turn on wifi just says scanning then turns off, tried various things to get it working but the *#*#526#*#* code gives me the message NotSet driver loaded [Ng] dont have a clue what this means but still doesnt work flash firmware numerous times now im baxk on 2.3.4 xxkg2. Suppose ill be giving samsung a ring.

20. Jagan1987

Jagan1987 Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2011
    Hi Im facing the same issue from today....flashed stock rom..No use...Anyone found the solution ??

21. blackbirdce

blackbirdce Lurker
    None

Jan 22, 2012
    A bit late, but I was facing the same problems with various custom roms over the past 24 hours.

I had the very same issue:
    - Flashing ROM
    - Install all of my apps and set back configuration manually
    - Wifi seemed to work
    - After half an hour, the Wifi was turned off and showed "error" when trying to turn on

My solution (after reading this thread), which seems to work for at least the past hour now, lies within the rights on the wpa_supplicants.conf (located in /data/misc/wifi).
    As I had manually pushed that file from my old configuration to my new installation, the file was placed as 'root:root' and was chmod-ed as 0700. I've chown-ed it to 'wifi.wifi' and chmod-ed it 0777, and the Wifi started working again.

Good luck!