1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi File Sharing?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by garybeck, May 24, 2011.

1. garybeck

garybeck Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm sorta new to the Android world... I've had my LG Optimus for a couple weeks now and I haven't discovered a way to "explore" the files on the device, let alone another computer that it's connected to by USB or Wifi.

The only thing I"ve come across so far is when I connect by USB, I can get on my computer and copy/paste/transfer files. But if I'm on the Optimus, I'm in the dark. And if I'm on Wifi instead of USB, I don't see anything at all.

I'd like to be able to use Wifi to view/transfer files on my Windows PC (both directions). I'd like to be on my Optimus and "grab" a file from my computer.

I'm guessing I need to download an app to do this?

thanks

Advertisement

2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    This is the rooted (and IMO, proper) solution:

get QuickSSHd from the market. This allows you to SSH and SCP into the phone's filesystem.

Also get the DynDNS app, which allows you to assign a hostname to your phone no matter what IP address gets assigned. That way you can always use the hostname to connect to your phone.

Now I can use traditional programs via the PC, like PuTTY and WinSCP to manage my phone's files. Only time I might switch to mounting the phone as a mass storage device is when I'm on 3G and need to copy over a large file. USB is faster.

3. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert
    None

swiftp - free in the market; brilliant app for accessing the phone over wifi (or cellular for that matter) from a comp

don't know about the other direction, since i never felt the need

4. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    I use the free 'EStrongs File Explorer' to connect my phone via WiFi to a share on my PC and on my network drive.
    ES File Explorer - Android

Harry