• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi help/discussion

I am currently studying abroad and am without a data plan for my smartphone. My dorm's internet is working just fine. My computer is connecting without an issue (as evidenced by the existence of this post), but I'm having trouble with my phone. It is connecting to the network, but the network is set up so one needs to open a browser and sign in in order to use the internet. My information is correct and I can sign in on other devices, but when I try to sign in on my phone, the page takes forever to load and ultimately just shows a "no data received" message. I would really like to be able to use my phone to access the internet instead of having to use my laptop all the time. Any thoughts as to why this might be happening to me?

Upvote 0
I believe the HTC One sets any new wifi network as a mobile hotspot by default (since one of the larger updates). If the wifi network is set as a mobile hotspot, then some data will not be allowed to sync.

To change this you have to turn wifi on, go to "wireless & networks" -> "more" ->"Data Usage" -> click on the 3 dots on the upper right -> click on "mobile hotspot" and then uncheck your dorm network. Try that.

Upvote 0
I have scoured the internet for an answer to this problem since around January. I always had my mobile data to fall back on so I dealt with it, but now I'm traveling internationally and I need fully functioning WiFi.

The phone will disconnect from WiFi somewhat randomly but very frequently by turning the radio off then on again. It could get so frequent as to cycle as fast as it can turn on and off again, or sometimes it would behave for more than twenty minutes. I know it wasn't a router issue, because I travel constantly for work, so I'm never on the same WiFi network for more than a week. It does appear to prefer some networks over others, but I don't know much about those networks.

I've tried everything I could find that was even somewhat related to the issue. I just found a video on YouTube with a potential fix.
The phone has been behaving thus far, but it's too early to call it fully repaired. I might've just had a hiccup while posting this.

From the video:
Settings>Wi-Fi>...>Wi-Fi Direct>...>Rename device

Rename the device to "HTC One"

Any real solution or clarification or even empathetic voices of consolation will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
are you rooted?
do you have any apps that can potentially control your wifi connection? any wifi sniffing apps?

what version OS are you running?

how long have you had this phone? and did you purchase it brand new? if second hand, did this issue crop up form day one or later on?

could be a rogue app, something tangled under the hood.

have you attempted a factory reset? this sounds like a unique/rare situation to which only a factory reset may be the only cure--especially since you have "scoured" the internet since January...

Upvote 0
I'm not rooted. I purged all apps I wasn't using. I can't think of anything that may be affecting the wifi.

I'm running 4.4.3

I purchased this phone brand new in December 2013. I haven't attempted a factory reset. It seems like it's the only option left, though.

The video fix didn't fix anything. I did change my phone name to thisphonesucks, though.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi,

My work wi-fi requires a login but I no longer have the option to login. Previously I would be directed when the browser was opened to login and this was then saved. Now I never get the option to login. I have removed the wi-fi connection, I have cleared the cache, I have changed default browsers, to no avail. The WiFi SSID says sign in required and I get this information to enter a username but no space to do it. Also, the browser never gives me an option to enter a login. Has anyone see this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-27-17-29-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-27-17-29-26.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
Are you rooted?
What carrier?
Were you able to access the wifi site at one point prior to this issue?
Can you connect to other wifi spots?
What version of Android are you running?
What flavor of wifi are you attempting to connect to? 802.11...?

Did the work wifi perhaps change anything on their end? Do you have another device you can test on the network in question?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones