• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi HotSpot Discussion

Does anyone know how to get this feature working? Is the HotSpot feature free on the Nexus 5? I remember (back in the day) that it was free on certain Nexus devices.

Thanks.

Settings > Wireless&Networks More -> Tethering & portable hotspot

The functionality is fully there. Whether it is "free" or nt will depend on how your carrier/MVNO phone service provider treats it. On Gophone, I can use it all I want.

Upvote 0
if you mean using nexus 5 as a wifi hotspot to tether your computer, tablets, gaming consoles etc, it depends on your carrier and your plan. check your plan fine print to see if sprint allows it for your data plan. for example t-mobile allows it on all their plan even prepaid (albeit by a little amount of data). their unlimited data plans include 2.5 GB tethering data.

kitkat 4.4 has a feature (a bug from users point of view) where tethering data goes through a different apn so the carrier can check and allow if included in the plan. there is a workaround for it but requires root and some database editing and user agent swicher/Vpn use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones