1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

WiFi Hotspot...?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rob721, Feb 14, 2011.

1. rob721

rob721 Newbie

I am assuming the TB will have WiFi hotspot, but we all know how assumptions go. Does anyone know for sure? Also, if it will have hotspot, I wonder how long it will take to hack the hotspot as was done with the DINC. ;)

By the way, the wife has an upgrade coming soon. She said she is content with her phone and does not want to upgrade. So, she is giving me the upgrade. I am planning to upgrade my DINC for the TB. Thanks Hollie!!! :D

Rob

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rdubbs007

rdubbs007 Well-Known Member

Root has already been achieved ... soooooo ... WiFi Tether FTW.

3. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

the hotspot on the TB is free, you don't need to root it to use it, lol

4. rdubbs007

I know, but it is oh so much more fun am I wrong? And it is nice to know that it is available when VZW eliminates the "free" hotspot

5. rob721

rob721 Newbie

That's a nice surprise... Something for free for a change. LOL Thanks for the info...

6. Lucidot

Lucidot Android Enthusiast

Then it will be called the G-Spot since no one will be able to find it.

7. rob721

rob721 Newbie

That is so true. :D

8. rdubbs007

LMAO That was easy!

[​IMG]

9. gemini846

gemini846 Member

Free WiFi? From VZW? My skepticism is overburdened right now. Maybe that is because they are planning on scrapping unlimited data.

10. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

perhaps. lol

11. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Android Expert

Even if it aint free.. ##778 will take care of it. ;)

cbanning likes this.
  12. cbanning

cbanning Well-Known Member

i hope so!

13. frodub

frodub Well-Known Member

or I wonder if PDAnet will just make another update to tailor to the TB... for those that don't want to go the rooting route

14. project.in.process

project.in.process Well-Known Member

if i'm not mistaken, it's one of the steps involved in changing your EPST--which would then allow you to hotspot without enabling the feature through VZW officially

15. cbanning

ir worked on my DINC (which I pawned off to my wife) but didn't work on the Droid X!

16. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

I have some reservations about the free Wifi they're offering for the first couple of months. Is that so they can get a baseline of how much data you would use if you were tethered, so they can then look at your information in a few months after the free wifi hotspot is discontinued and say, "AH-HA! You are using as much data as you were when we offered this service free!" and bust you for tethering without a tethering plan?

17. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

I think they are using us a guinea pigs to see how much data we use so they can have their bean counters figure out how much the tiered data / tether data plans should cost. I think they want to see what the usage patterns look like as a whole, rather than individually ...

18. Drew66

Drew66 Well-Known Member

Yup! So everyone use it just a little...;)

19. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

You mean use the hell out of it so they'll cap it at like 20 megs for $15.99 or something....

20. Drew66

Drew66 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it can go both ways... I think it will have to do more with overall consumption vs. bandwidth available. They will then price to maximize revenue and minimize bandwidth usage. Encourage the use but at the same time discourage by making you pay $XX for XXGB. Way beyond my pay grade... actually Bennnnn in the "other" forum would probably be the best one to ask.

21. lte can easily block unpaid tethering on even rooted phones. It is completely up to verizon where they will let you tether with out paying sorry.

22. cbanning

anyone try the **778 option yet? does it work?

23. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Every carrier has DPI boxes on the wired network to do this, it's not wireless technology agnostic.

24. cbanning

just tried the ##778 thingy. Could get into the edit mode, but it won't let one edit the DUN NAI field :(

25. dcs3473

dcs3473 Lurker

I am having the same issues. I can get to the DUN NAI area but will not allow me to edit anything.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews