• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WIFI Hotspot

WiFi tether for root users. Yes you need to be rooted. Last time I looked I didn't see it at play store. Google it. I know for a fact ver. 3.2 beta works on ics and jb.
Also there was a thread about tether w/o root on this forum using apex launcher. You can try that.

That is what I used on the Prevail. Not rooted yet on HTC.

Upvote 0
is this file for JB. i just done the ultimate guide to everything for this phone, reinstalled wifi for root (even though it no longer showed up on playstore) Set it on ICS/JB Lan 1 setting. got no errors, showed up on networks list but no data transmission

edit: i got wifitether for root to work on rooted s-off new JB stock rom to work by changing profile to Lan0 and checking on the option send netd max client cmd.

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
is this file for JB. i just done the ultimate guide to everything for this phone, reinstalled wifi for root (even though it no longer showed up on playstore) Set it on ICS/JB Lan 1 setting. got no errors, showed up on networks list but no data transmission

edit: i got wifitether for root to work on rooted s-off new JB stock rom to work by changing profile to Lan0 and checking on the option send netd max client cmd.

Cool! This is good info for when I do root.

Upvote 0
Ok, I've got a problem. I can use the wifi hotspot to connect to my pc and laptop. Both connect just fine. It won't work with my tablet though. It says connecting, then goes to obtaining ip then back to connecting. It never connects.

have you confirmed working internet on pc and laptop? have you done any recent changes to your encryption settings on wifi? if yes you must delete connection profile(forget) and attempt to re-establish a connection to get the password prompt again. Ive had mine do something similar when i changed connection password to wifi and didnt update tablet

Upvote 0
have you confirmed working internet on pc and laptop? have you done any recent changes to your encryption settings on wifi? if yes you must delete connection profile(forget) and attempt to re-establish a connection to get the password prompt again. Ive had mine do something similar when i changed connection password to wifi and didnt update tablet

Yes. It works fine one pc and laptop. This is a problem I've ran in to with the tablet before when switching ROMS. I have a feeling it's the CM10 I'm running on my tablet.

Upvote 0
http://db.tt/mPVGsGjy

This version of WiFi tether should work with tablets too just change profile to generic ICS/JB (wlan0)

Bro, I finally got around to trying the WiFi Tether app you posted and man oh man....... IT WORKS LIKE A FREAKING CHARM!!!! :D:D:D

EXCELLENT CONTRIBUTION TO THE HTC ONE SV COMMUNITY!!!!

I am one happy camper right now buddy!!!! I had taken my tablet with me the other day to use while on breaks during a County software training class. I figured it would work with my SV's hotspot since it had worked with all the computers at the house. Even tried WiFi Tether for Root Users since it would connect to my tablet via my LG Marquee. (WRONG!!!)

I hooked it up and waited on it to connect. It went through the motions saying it was obtaining the IP and all that noise. It continually went from obtaining IP to connecting right back to obtaining IP, etc, etc........... It never connected! :mad:

THANK YOU so very much for helping me get this tablet working via my SV's 3G!!! The TF300T Transformer running CM10.1 can be a finicky booger when it comes to using WiFi tether apps. This one you provided worked PERFECTLY!! If it'll work with my TF300T, I'm pretty sure it'll work with any device. LOL

This find of yours just made my day bro! If I could click the THANKS tab a few more times, I would. lol :ridinghorse:

Upvote 0
http://db.tt/mPVGsGjy

This version of WiFi tether should work with tablets too just change profile to generic ICS/JB (wlan0)

thanks that works with my nook tablet running CM10.1.2 it's the first thing to work with the nook tablet. Eventing else sticks at authenticating if I have wpa2 active or at obtaining ip address if I don't have it protected.

Upvote 0
thanks that works with my nook tablet running CM10.1.2 it's the first thing to work with the nook tablet. Eventing else sticks at authenticating if I have wpa2 active or at obtaining ip address if I don't have it protected.

Yup. Definitely a great find. Nice to have Internet with my tablet again via my phones hotspot. Yup, I'm definitely a happy camper. :D:D

Really weird that the stock hotspot worked for all my computers though. Lol. Oh well, it is what it is and it's working again now. That's all that really matters. :D:D

Upvote 0
Does this wifi tether still work, I have been trying with no success.
HTC One SV Boost Mobile
S-off, ROOT, Stock Rom, Sickle Kernel

I had WIFI-Routher.apk in the system files already but not WIFI-tether.apk placed that in and apex will show and it comes up my pc can connect. No data but I haven't bought from boost yet due to I like the Sence theme and want to have an app I can view and open without needing a launcher

I have also tried the updated wifi tether which is in play store again and still no go

**** Undate --- Fixxed and working with app at top given out.... My phones stock wifi hotspot would not turn off had to reinstall apex open and turn back off.****
Thanks for the awesome find and help for others to know in the community :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones