Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sequre, May 31, 2010.
Has anyone gotten the Incredible to act as a wifi hotspot? Does this require root?
Yes. It does. You can do the VZW wired root through Sense though.
vzw wired root?
Vzw root? Never heard of this?
I'm sure he meant VZW wired tethering... Words just got discombobulated...
I found it. "mobile broadband connect". Does this service cost extra? I read that there might be an extra charge for this feature.
I use Pdanet to connect my laptop (tether)
then use connectifyme and my other laptops,devices can connect to
it like regular wifi hotspot
very easy, cool and free
till root and new roms come avail.
+1 about the charge for this service I have unlimited data
From the sticky in the support forum -
You can tether one of three ways:
1. You can purchase the tethering plan which ranges from $15-$25 more a month depending on what data plan you're on and use the native application on the Droid Incredible. This method is relatively easy as you just need to plug in your Droid Incredible to your PC and tap on Share Internet Connection.
2. You can download or purchase an app like EasyTether or PDAnet which requires your PC to have certain software installed in order to work. Using this method, you just need to run the App, have the software loaded onto the PC, and connect the phone to the PC.
3. The third method is a little sketchy. It involves tricking the VZN into letting you use their native tethering without having to pay for it--that's the sketchy part.
1) Dial ##778, SEND
2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.
3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to email@example.com (from firstname.lastname@example.org)
4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to email@example.com (from firstname.lastname@example.org)
5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.
Modem drivers can be found on VZAccess Manager for Windows XP/Vista/7 -- the VZAccess executable will install the drivers when it first runs before launching its installshield runtime. No need to continue and install the actual software. *nix people can use their built in PPP dialers once they set up the right USB connection parameters to detect the phone as a modem.
You can thank vacaloca for this guide here.
I used PDAnet just the other night cause our power went out. It was fantastic. Though we currently only have 1 laptop (our other died), I REALLY like the potential for connectify me. I hadn't heard of that yet. I went ahead and zipped the installer and emailed it to myself. That way, I will just download and save it to my SD card. That way, I've got it with me no matter who's computer I want to hook up to it.
I wonder if I could run my PS3 off of my newfound network...