• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi...how do I know?

clixalot

Oct 31, 2010
Ok....VERY new to the whole smartphone thing. I have the Samsung Captivate, I see how to turn "on" the WiFi (under settings or the top of the homescreen...that is the notification bar, right?), but how do I know that it is actually on? I turn it on....tap my the SSID (or my wifi network) go to the home screen, tap the browser and then what....how can I tell I am on WiFi or the 3G?

Separate question....if I am on the internet...then go to the home screen, does that take me off/shut off the internet?

LOL...do they make a Samsung Captivate book for Dummies? I definitely need one! LOL Thanks in advance for your help....and patience! :D

I see how to turn "on" the WiFi (under settings or the top of the homescreen...that is the notification bar, right?), but how do I know that it is actually on? I turn it on....tap my the SSID (or my wifi network) go to the home screen, tap the browser and then what....how can I tell I am on WiFi or the 3G?

When you're connected, there'll be a tiny icon in the notification bar at top that looks like this:
wifi_icon_bw.gif

Separate question....if I am on the internet...then go to the home screen, does that take me off/shut off the internet?

No. It's a smartphone. If there's a data connection available, it's "on the internet". Whether EDGE/3G, or wifi.

LOL...do they make a Samsung Captivate book for Dummies? I definitely need one! LOL Thanks in advance for your help....and patience! :D

Try the Captivate FAQ, the link to which is plastered all over these forums in posts, stickies and signatures:

FAQ - CapFAQ

Reactions: clixalot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones