• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WIFI inactive during screen lock

aengmoo

Lurker
Dec 20, 2009
Hello,

My problem is when WIFI is turned on and the phone goes in lock mode, WIFI is automatically turned off until I login the phone again.

From LG Eve manual page 93, "WIFI sleep policy is not included. When the phone goes to screen lock, WIFI is turned off... BUT if some applications receive data through WIFI, WIFI will not be turned off even after phone screen is locked"

I enabled continuous ping from wireless router to the phone, locked the phone, WIFI turned off, then sent a series of emails from Gmail and Exchange to the phone. The phone rang for notifications but continuous ping did not show it is responding to ping, therefore WIFI was not triggered by incoming Gmail and Exchange.

I called LG and asked what I should observe. I had challenges walking him through myself where to find this explanation, and he told me in my case, WIFI should be triggered by incoming emails.

If I discover that is limitation by design and cannot be changed, I would be very disappointed and would return the phone. I can't think of smart phone WIFI off when security login is enabled then there is no real benefit of getting WIFI in the first place. I do not want to disable screen timeout, either, just to leave WIFI on.

Interesting thing is in a manual, they claim they turn off WIFI to save battery power, and while I was charging the phone, screen lock was on and WIFI was always on.

Does anyone have experience with this? I want to confirm this feature works so that I can ask for replacement from Rogers.

Thanks.

you asked Rogers? that ought to be funny.
Indeed WiFI goes into sleep mode which is a standard WiFI feature and you might see it listed on your WiFI AP, it should say that the device is sleep mode capable. However the phone will wake it up as needed for example for email checking on schedule. But I don't know what happens to incoming requests such as gmail push and that is what you might be seeing. I'm not an expert but it might be that incoming requests won't wake it up but gmail push is a tiny bit of data. I think you'll find that other apps will wake up WiFI as required. You can also set to never sleep/lock when on charge.

I use the sleep timer app to play podcasts at night. The podcast is still streaming over WiFI when the phone goes into lock mode but WiFI stays active until the stream done. When the timer runs out the podcast shuts down but I don't set WiFI to turn off, I let is go into sleep mode. In the morning when I check the last night's email WiFI wakes up and my battery is still strong.

Upvote 0
I should've said WIFI goes in sleep mode when screen lock is active.

I searched Android Market in the phone and download app, I don't remember the name of it and cannot check it as after reboot, my phone locked and didn't pass android logo. That app did give me an option to "never" go in sleep mode and it did work when I tested it. They said this app is supported in cupcake 1.5 which is what LG Eve is running on and yet, it crashed.

As for this "never go in sleep mode" option in AP, I did not find it on wireless settings on the phone, I could've tried it if there were such an option, I don't have experience with other android phones than LG Eve so I don't know if that's the case with other phones.

As for this booting issue, I did have it several times since I got the phone last week when I installed some seemingly-incompatible apps on the phone. The phone did not boot up at all until battery ran out over night and I plugged in a power supply, then I was able to start the phone, uninstalled all the apps I installed previsouly, then it became Ok.

I hate to uninstall this app that worked finally but having WIFI in sleep mode is better than being unable to boot the phone so I won't have much choice but remove it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones