1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Wifi is disconnected when on standby, but it's on. Is this normal? possible battery drain?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tracerit, Oct 18, 2010.

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    At home i've noticed that even though I have wifi on, it'll drain 15-20% of my battery over night (8 hours). When I turn the display on it'll show that there's no wifi connection available, but wifi is still enabled. After i turn the display on, it'll quickly connect to my wifi. Is this normal? How do i make it stay connected to my home wifi when the display is off/phone is in standby?

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    hrmmm...it is possible that the wifi radio is sleeping

do you have the app spare parts...it's the only way I know to check and change the wifi sleep policy.

if not grap it from the market.

open spare parts scroll to wifi sleep policy
    change to never

i am not sure if this is your issue...but when i am connected to wifi it stays connected forever ...until I disconnect or go out of range. I would think though, that if your wifi is sleeping, that it would not drain battery.

3. CA_SteelersFan

CA_SteelersFan Active Member

May 14, 2010
    Manufacturing Engineer
    Saugus, CA
    I get 40% battery drain overnight with WiFi on, 8% drain with it off: consistenly tested several times over the last 2 months. I've done most of the battery saving recommendations. I'm running stock Froyo. Is it my router? I have not seen other people post a bigger drain with WiFi on until now.

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    have you guys checked the sleep policy...my battery hardly drains at all when wifi is on and connected....hours of listening to pandora via bluetooth with 10-20% drain

5. CA_SteelersFan

CA_SteelersFan Active Member

May 14, 2010
    Manufacturing Engineer
    Saugus, CA
    My WiFi Sleep Policy is set to "After 15 minutes".

6. tracerit

May 7, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    yeah i checked Spare Parts and it's on Android Default. I'm going to try to turn wifi off tonight and see how it works. Last night I rebooted my phone before i slept to make sure it wasn't some rogue app that i opened, still had the same drain.

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Change to never or turn it off

8. tracerit

May 7, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    when i change it to Never, it'll change the other Spare Parts settings too :/ It doens't even stay on "Never" it just changes back to "Android Default" and also changes the Transition Animation Speed to "Slow" instead of "Normal".

EDIT: nm, i went to Android's actual Settings > Wireless > Wifi > Advanced > and changed it from here. It was set on "after 15 minutes" so i changed it to "Never". lets see how it does tonight

Tags: