1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wifi issue w/ Galaxy S2? Rooted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mcarther101, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mcarther101

mcarther101 Lurker
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    I've rooted my phone, and have setcpu, autokiller, es file, astro, wifi tether, chainfire 3d, and superuser... just noticed I can't turn my wifi on now though. Whenever I click wifi on in settings or the bar at the top it will search for wifi networks... not find anything, then turn back off. What is going on? I even put my phone directly next to the wifi router? Reset the router just now, and restored the phone... still not able to connect?

PS... I have AT&T Uverse wifi router that is some sort of all in one cable tv/internet magic wifi box. It was working just a few days ago fine, but now I can't seem to turn the wifi on?

Advertisement

2. yono707

yono707 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    having the same problem, someone help

3. josun

josun Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Have you tried doing a factory reset? I had the same problem and doing a factory reset fixed the wifi issue while retaining the rooted status. I'm personally having problems flashing any roms ATM but you might have better lucks.

4. thebozdude

thebozdude Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Do you have 2.3.6? If so, I had exactly same problem.

Solution in my case: Unroot (go back to 2.3.4) and then root again. Do not update to 2.3.6. Apparently, there is no efficient root method for 2.3.6 yet (I could be wrong, but this is my experience.

5. jsnowl

jsnowl Newbie
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    And how does one go back to 2.3.4?

6. wolfyboy359

wolfyboy359 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    indy
    is your router working?
    Do you have internet access on your computer?
    If so, go to the browser and type in "gateway" without the parenthesis and see what your wifi status is.

7. Quads

Quads Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    I wrote this over at XDA when I got stuck with the same issue.
    This is regards to using SuperOneClick to root your S2 on 2.3.6

OK, after some hacking around, here's the issue (and a solution):
    In short, this root method doesn't work with Android Version 2.3.6. So if you did the OTA (Over The Air) update from ATT which took you from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 then SuperOneClick Root version 2.3.3 won't work. It will hang on step 5 or 7.

That being said, until there is an updated method to root the Android 2.3.6 version from ATT, you can easily go back to 2.3.4 *then* use SuperOneClick which works.

First, make sure you have *ALL* the drivers. If not, download and install Kies from Samsung, which will install them for you: Kies

Once you have Kies installed, I followed these steps to get back to 2.3.4:
    Download the Odin package with the stock ATT ROM here:
    Download GalaxyS2ATT/unroot/ATTGalaxyS2Unroot.zip at DownloadAndroidROM.com

In that ZIP file will be Odin and the stock ATT ROM. Unzip it, and open Odin. Follow the steps in this youtube to put the 2.3.4 ROM back on your phone: How to Unroot AT&T Galaxy S2! [SGH-i777] - YouTube

Once you're back to 2.3.4, use version 2.3.3 of SuperOneClick to root your phone.

YMMV. I *just* went through this on my SGH-I777 and it works. I'm back to 2.3.4 with root installed.

Cliffnotes:
    Install Kies.
    Download Odin and ATT stock ROM.
    Flash back to Android 2.3.4
    SuperOneClick 2.3.3 to root your Android 2.3.4 phone.
    *DO NOT* do the OTA upgrade (if ever prompted) as this will unroot your phone.

Mods: Please move or split this reply if needed. I figured I'd post it here as I was stuck where others were and figured it'd be best / most helpful in this topic.

Hopefully this will help some of you that are stuck at step 5 or 7 with Android 2.3.6.

8. DeanFoster

DeanFoster Lurker
    None

Jan 17, 2012
    I'm also having problems with the wireless after I rooted it. I'm a linux guy--so I'm not using Odin. I've taken it back to "stock" a few times, but now the wireless doesn't work there either. (Factory reset looks like "out of the box" but it couldn't find the wireless.)

I don't have access to a Window's box. So Quads nice walk through of resetting it that way doesn't work for me. Any one know where the problem is? Bad zImage? What keeps it broken after a factory reset? Where is the persistent state coming from?

9. Quads

Quads Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    From what I read somewhere, (don't recall where) was the issue was the wifi adapter didn't have a MAC address after the root on 2.3.6. Again, don't quote me on it, but you may find some luck there.

10. wolfyboy359

None

Jan 6, 2012
    indy
    I was wondering if anyone here knew the best way to go back to 2.3.4? Should I root and backup what I have and then unroot and flash and then root again and backup? Thanks.

11. Momomuffins

Momomuffins Newbie
    None

Not sure what you've already done since this thread is a few days old...

I just rooted my 2.3.6 device via the "Zedomax Method" and in the instructions the guy said that the kernel installed during the rooting process causes Wifi to malfunction (exactly the same way you're describing). So the recommended kernel to fix this is located here [KERNEL][Root][UV][CWM] Entropy's Daily Driver, 1/24/2012 (Misc Upstream Patches)) - xda-developers

Once you have it downloaded to your pc, plug your phone into USB, mount storage and copy the whole ZIP file to your phone's internal SD drive...boot up into CWM recovery (hold power button, volume up and volume down until you get to the CWM recovery screen). Select install ZIP from SD, locate the kernel ZIP file and install it. Reboot the phone when it's done...it's super fast. Wifi works like a charm now. I'm new to the rooting world of the Galaxy S2 but not to Android so I hope this helps if you haven't found a solution yet :)

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my phone came with 2.3.4 and I did the OTA upgrade to 2.3.6. This kernel is all I had to install to fix the wifi issue. Never had to roll back to 2.3.4 or anything. Here's the guy's video that I followed when I rooted my phone...not sure how you rooted yours but I figured I'd put it here just in case it turns out to be helpful for someone else if it doesn't end up applying to your situation...
    Tutorial How To Root AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Android 2.3.6 (Windows) - YouTube

12. wolfyboy359

None

Jan 6, 2012
    indy
    Ok thanks so much for that momomuffins!! That cleared up a few things but raised two new questions:
    1. why not just flash to the second kernel to begin with?
    2. what if something goes wrong?

13. DeanFoster

DeanFoster Lurker
    None

Jan 17, 2012
    I got it working! Seems one needs to reboot it several times. So, flash, flash, reboot, reboot seems to be the necessary pattern. (Why I don't know.) THe problem is called a boot-loop

Samsung Galaxy S2 Cyanogenmod bootloop resolved - CyanogenMod Forum

14. SilverLycan90

SilverLycan90 Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2012
    Marketing Manager
    Irondale, Ohio
    I really appreciate you posting this! I knew it was a kernel issue but I could not for the life of me find an appropriate one to fix the issue. :eek: My only concern is this one at least with the most current up to date one he had is a bit laggy. Its minor and It probably won't be too much of a nuisance but I wondered if you had noticed the same thing? Thanks again. :cool:

15. gcobb

gcobb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Southaven, MS
    This is what I did, works like a champ. :driver: