1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jstcynske, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jstcynske

jstcynske Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2010
    Before purchasing, I had a lot of people talking about the wifi issue, and a lot of people saying there was no issue. I decided to give it a shot, knowing how some of the forums work.
    Anyway, I can pick up a neighbors wifi network in my house, but is usually not the best signal. I am writing this thread and posting while connected to that network on my desktop. I have the prime in front of me that will not connect to the network, an iPod touch next to me that is connected and a iPad next to it that is connected. The only device that has not been able to connect is the prime.
    Little disappointed in it...I didn't care about the gps, don't see that being an issue. Wifi on the other hand, that is an issue to me...

Advertisement

2. RoscoeDpG

RoscoeDpG Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    At first my only people was that after idle time the wifi would turn off even with set to never turn off but after ics update no problem and speeds over wifi are great even at a nice distance

3. jstcynske

None

May 28, 2010
    This is really too bad, I love everything about this tablet, but with no wifi I can't keep it. I am sitting in my basement right now, my laptop has 68% signal strength, the prime has 0%...

4. daddyd302

daddyd302 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Male
    West Allis, WI
    After owning this for a week, today I turned on my Prime and it lost it's wifi.... I turned it off and on again and it took 1 minute to turn off and on. I'm not sure what happened and why it decided to do that day, nothing's been changed, and this was the first time this has happened.

5. golfernut78

golfernut78 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    are you turning the prime on and off or just the wifi on the prime. i've had mine not regain the connection after i have it in standby and i just turn the wifi on and off and it is fine.

6. daddyd302

daddyd302 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Male
    West Allis, WI
    Nope, my Prime is on all the time. The wifi is also on all the time. Now that I've had time to think about it, it did happen once beofre this. It was right after I upgraded to ICS. The wifi just disappeared. I had to reboot to get it to work again.

7. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    I just ran into a similar issue at work on our wifi... I didn't have the greatest signal strength, but my connection basically turned the icon "grey" over the wifi signal & I couldn't get wifi to reconnect without a system reboot. Very wierd. (Wifi analyzer showed that I had connectivity to the correct network...).

EDIT: What I think happened is that the connection quality dipped below a threshold to maintain connection & it dropped. Its very strange... using wifi analyzer I see my "needle" jumping around a lot... is that just interference? Most of the time in my office I sit with a perfectly acceptable -58, but then it just dips to over -80... then back to -55->-58... bah. What causes those jumps? For what its worth, my nexus seems to just stay lower... it never gets as good as the -55, but doesn't dip as low either... while the prime seems to be a seesaw.

8. davewood44

davewood44 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    northumberland, uk
    I got my prime yesterday and initially the wifi connection appeared ok. But today it started to drop out every few minutes and i'd have from 1 bar to 3 bars of signal strength, the only time i had a good constant signal was when i was standing next to the router and even then it dropped once?

My laptop and phone connects without any problem and stays connected even if i move rooms.

so, clearly i have a faulty one. Its now being returned and a new one delivered. I dont want my money back as the unit itself is great! :D

I presume Asus must have changed something if the newer ones dont have the wifi issue?

9. jstcynske

None

May 28, 2010
    I think it may have just signed its return ticket today! I was connected to wifi, and I walked in to my north building with it. It stayed connected, I was surprised. I then walked back to my office, and it had lost connect. I am sitting 1ft away from the hotspot and it shows full signal, but will not connect to it.
    I have tried restarting the the tablet, restarting the hotspot, re-entering the password...absolutely nothing works! I will not reset the tablet, that is not a fix to me. If someone has a suggestion, please post up...

10. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Maybe try forgetting the wifi connection, then scanning and setting it up again? Is the wifi icon "grey" instead of blue now? (That's what mine did... it showed grey with bars but would not connect & turn blue).

11. jstcynske

None

May 28, 2010
    Tried that multiple times, didn't work. i turned of the pad and hotspot for the ride home. i was able to get connection when I got home. would like to know if anyone knows a secret to this one...

12. tensazan

tensazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Indiana
    I have my HTC Thunderbolt and my Prime sitting here next to each other, and my Thunderbolt is going between -49 dBm down to about -60 dBm, and my Prime is going between -50 and -63 dBm, though it's holding steady around -53 right now.

I am however right above the router in my room with both resting on my bed.

13. KaneoheGrown

KaneoheGrown Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2011
    Just found this article today. Interesting findings by the author (similar to tests that users on this forum have already performed, just under a different set of testing parameters)...

What the he found was that the Prime in good (3-4 bars) to moderate (2 bars) wifi range, the Prime did as well if not better than a similar tested Xoom or Droid X2. In poor connection range (1 bar), it did far worse than the other two devices.

I personally haven't had any issues with wifi like others in this thread. But at the same time I've managed to stay within 2-4 bar range of my router during use. Just thought I'd share with everyone!

Transformer Prime Wi-Fi performance: A hands-on test - Computerworld Blogs

Edit: I'm presuming he had ICS updated, though I am unsure if at the time of the writing if he received the new OTA update (I doubt it though).