1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

WiFi issues after update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Meatnbeer, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Meatnbeer

Meatnbeer Lurker

My phone was working just fine, then I allowed the android update that came out in the beginning of October to install. After the install, I randomly will get a message saying "internet may not be available" when I am connected to my home WiFi. This has happened once before this past spring. After maybe 1.5 months, the problem eventually went away. I am really mad that after this update the problem has returned. The phone basically crashes the home WiFi completely. Nothing in the house can access the internet if the internet if my phone is connected to it. Anyone ever heard of this?

Advertisement

2. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

My first point of call would be to power down your router and/or modem for 5 minutes to perform a soft reset.

3. Meatnbeer

Meatnbeer Lurker

Yes, that was attempted. The problem is not the router. I went as far as replacing the router. The issue has been isolated to the phone, more specifically Android.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Yep. I had a very similar situation a while ago. I would randomly get messages about not being able to access the internet and when I tried any other device in my home it was also sluggish or wouldn't connect. Naturally I thought it was my ISP. They did a little diagnostics and found i was maxing out my bandwidth for hours. So I shut down everything connected in my house and then powered them on one by one, until the problem came back.

It turned out to be a Samsung tablet that I had just updated and there was an SD card inserted with some TV shows saved to it that were several GB each. Android was trying to sync them to the cloud, but they were too big so each attempt they'd fail and then start over again. As soon as I turned of sync for the SD card, the problem cleared itself up.

JAy3001 likes this.
  5. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

This was the sort of line I was going to go down @lunatic59 I was going to suggest when your phone is connected to your WiFi to fire up your usage stats and see if something is screaming out your data/bandwidth to the max.

This would allow you to identify the culprit, if indeed this is the issue. In fact if you went into your WiFi data stats you would be able to see if there is a rouge app causing issues without even being connected.

6. Meatnbeer

Meatnbeer Lurker

Do you know if there is a way to see what apps are running in the background of the phone at any given time? I can log into my router and see what devices are using bandwidth and how much it is using, but that wont tell me which service is doing it.

I have tried limiting the amount of bandwidth the phone can use, but that didn't help. Even if I only gave it 1% of what is available.

7. Meatnbeer

Meatnbeer Lurker

Do you know if there is a way to see what apps are running in the background of the phone at any given time? I can log into my router and see what devices are using bandwidth and how much it is using, but that wont tell me which service is doing it.

I have tried limiting the amount of bandwidth the phone can use, but that didn't help. Even if I only gave it 1% of what is available.

8. Meatnbeer

Meatnbeer Lurker

Update: I noticed that the Google play download manager always seemed to be running when the wifi crash happened. I have shut down the managers ability to run whenever it feels like and the problem seems to be resolved so far.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S8 release date was April 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.8" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

April 2017
Release Date
Reviews