1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wifi issues with CM9 nightly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Canoli, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Canoli

Canoli Lurker

Dont know if this is the right spot but I have noticed that the WiFi isn't working right, Seems like it doesn't have a good signal from the router. I have CM9 installed and yesterdays nightly. If I boot into webos it is getting a good signal but when i boot in to ICS the signal from my router goes in and out and is weak. This was working fine up until a few days ago. Any ideas

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

I moved this to it's own post. :D

First of all, nightly builds vary a lot in quality so if you're going to install a nightly, you want to backup your rom in recovery so you can return to it if you end up with a stinker. If the issue started with this build, you may want to restore your backup, then try a different (newer) build.

If you're updating from CM7, you want to format data (factory reset) or you'll end up with issues. I'm guessing this isn't the case with you. Periodically they will recommend a data wipe for certain builds, but I'm not aware of anything like this recently with CM9. They did require you to reinstall gApps a month or two ago tho. Again, I assume this isn't your problem, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

A lot of things can cause wifi issues with CM9.

CM9 on the Touchpad appears to work better with:

• router channels set between 1 and 6. Use wifi analyzer to pick a open channel. Don't use "auto".
    • wireless g (not wireless n only--turn off 5 ghz)
    • TKIP encryption (not AES)
    • ^^^ These things above require you to view/change your router settings via the admin page, which you can view from your computer.
    • your time has to be accurate. I use clock sync to set my time every day.

Eyeballer's CM9 builds have newer drivers that may work better with wifi.

More help on the issue here: [ISSUE] TouchPad Android Wifi Issue Thread - xda-developers

cmatthaios likes this.
  3. untitled1

untitled1 Well-Known Member

I updated from CM7 without a factory reset and it's running great. I think I'm on the April 18 nightly.

4. colchiro

Possibly the email issues we had were related to the immature CM9 we installed then. :D

5. cmatthaios

cmatthaios Member

The clock sync was dead on. I was off 4+ minutes. Once I synced the times, my wifi problems were gone.

6. colchiro

I ran into this the other day too where Play Market wasn't working. I reflashed 2 different versions of gApps before I noticed the time was off.

7. colchiro

8. cmatthaios

cmatthaios Member

colchiro likes this.
  9. colchiro

10. cmatthaios

cmatthaios Member

I noticed that I did still have wifi issues, but only in my house. I'm using a WEP Security Mode, not sure if that would be the issues. Everywhere else, work (WPA) and 4G Hotspot app on my phone (WPA), doesn't seem to have issues where the wifi drops.

I noticed yesterday when I tried to download the latest nightly, and it wouldn't constantly drop the connection. I even reinstalled clock sync, and its was offset, it seemed to resolve the issue, but it again dropped the connection after 10mins. I then switched to my 4G Phone hotspot, and it downloaded (though took longer) with no connections drops.

*shrug*

11. cmatthaios

cmatthaios Member

12. colchiro

... and you didn't see these, a few posts above yours? :D

13. cmatthaios

cmatthaios Member

Nothing against your post, but this is a new fix? Because the one for 0509 is for the older driver, this is fix for the newer wifi driver? idk :D
    So far its working better.

14. colchiro

Yup, same driver, which went into the nightly builds. :D

15. cmatthaios

cmatthaios Member

I dont think its exactly the same thing.
    the other was was v3.0
    this is update-ath6kl-v4.0w-for-20120513-signed.zip

*shrug*

16. colchiro

I believe you are correct. I didn't check the links very close.
    I even get confused if there's two blondes in a movie. :D

17. colchiro

More on the wifi update...

[ROM] UNOFFICIAL CM9 Nightly Builds - HP Touchpad Android Development - RootzWiki - Page 145

Mixed results from wifi update, mostly positive.

untitled1 likes this.
  18. colchiro

The wifi driver has been updated twice since I posted that link: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing altwifi

If you prefer, you should be able to DL directly to your TP with Goo Manager:

Browse all files...
    devs...
    jsullins...
    cmtouchpad...
    altwifi

files will be in goomanager folder. :D

19. colchiro

untitled1 likes this.