1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support wifi issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by guttyla, Sep 16, 2011.

1. guttyla

guttyla Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    I periodically lose my connection and can't reconnect. Other devices can connect, but not the Bionic. I've tried turning it off/on...both wifi and the Bionic, I've tried putting it in airplane mode too but can't reconnect. The only thing that works is unplugging my router and plugging it back in...it's a nuisance.
    Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    wait - you say other devices can reconnect - that means all devices are losing signal but only the BIONIC cannot reconnect?

I wonder if it is a timeout value? Hmmm, I'm off to explore something else...

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    known issue with android devices. the only way i fixed this with my samsung captivate was to do a hard reset. there's also a wifi fixer in the market. try that before anything.

ecb likes this.
  4. tjreishus

tjreishus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Airline Pilot
    I couldn't get mine to work on my DX for months, then I got the bionic and it did the same thing. Found out that this worked for me

Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > make sure wi-fi is on > scroll to the bottom and select Manage networks > Manage networks options > forget all networks. After doing that, I signed back into my network and it works fine. I connect to a lot of wireless networks and one of them had things all messed up.

I hope it works for you also.

ecb likes this.
  5. ecb

ecb Guest
    None
    Sounds similar to an issue I'm having. I noticed from the begining that my Wifi Speeds (using the Speedtest app) were horrible when compared to my iPhone. I didn't pay that much attention because it was still decent speed for a phone. However, when I noticed that WiFi was one of my biggest battery drainers I started digging a little deeper.

It seems like my Wifi connection is dropping when there are bursts of data. For example, if I use the speedtest app repeatedly (or use the speedtest tools on dslreport.com) I'll quickly get to a point where my data connection is hosed (the speedtest app will complain about losing network connectivity, web browser will indicate that there is no internet connection). It doesn't seem to completely drop the connection, but Wifi is definitly vey flakey with the combination of the Bionic and my network (which is nothing fancy, just using WPA2 for security)

I'll certainly try forgetting the network and then reentering the credentials (thanks for that tip) but if wifi is not rock solid, I can't see keeping a very expensive phone and then hoping the issue is fixed with a firmware upgrade.

I'll post back if I find anything that works