1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

wifi keeps dropping out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shinigamikris, Apr 19, 2012.

1. shinigamikris

shinigamikris Newbie

When im connected to my WiFi modem, my one x will just randomly drop out of service. It never happens on the laptop, I tried setting my one x with a static ip address but it still keeps doing it. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
    Kris

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Welcome to AF! :)

Have you tried changing the channel on the router? In other cases, upgrading the router firmware has also been known to help.

3. shinigamikris

shinigamikris Newbie

Hi, thanks for replying, the channel was set to auto. What channel should it be on?

Cheers
    Kris

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

There's an app called WiFi Analyzer on the market, install that and it should tell you which is the strongest/best channel to use. I think you can see if there are any conflicts too (any other wireless networks using the same channel).

Have you tried a router firmware upgrade too?

5. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

s.m.knipe and El Presidente like this.
  6. Tomo1971

Tomo1971 Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic but I had issues connecting my MacBook to my wifi when I first had it…. the router was set to auto channel. Once I moved it to 6 or something, the MBP connected fine.

Even if you now set your channel to a number, in 6 months time it may stop working again due to someone nearby getting a new router/changing their channel/new cordless phones etc etc, so remember this 'tip' for the future.

Steve

7. shinigamikris

shinigamikris Newbie

Thanks everyone. Will try changing the channels around.

8. NikkiC

NikkiC Well-Known Member

I had the exact same problem and the only thing that fixed it was to upgrade the router firmware. Check to see if there is a newer firmware version for your router, if so, that may fix your issue too.

9. shinigamikris

shinigamikris Newbie

Changed the channel to 6 and seems to be working better now. Thanks

10. DaBronze

DaBronze Lurker

I also have an HTC One X and had the same problem with my Wi-Fi. I've had the phone for about a month and every time I came home to my wireless network the connection would continuously drop on and off. I would watch it drop and obtain and IP in the Wireless settings.

I discovered the issue was my WPA Wireless network encryption was using AES, which seems to be an issue with this phone. I switched it to TKIP, and the issue was immediately resolved. My HTC Inspire, my previous phone, running Android 3.2 didn't have this issue, but my One X running Android 4.0 does. I'm assuming it is hardware, and not Android.

11. shinigamikris

shinigamikris Newbie

Just checked my wifi settings for my modem, it's already on TKIP :/

12. wynney666

wynney666 Android Enthusiast

Think of the router channels like Frequencys on a radio, if theres something on that frequency the radio breaks, gets interference. Change the Frequency/Chanell to a free one and its interference free.

Often fixes most wireless issues.
    Ive know changing the password to help too
    If the router is near any of the following try moving them or it.
    *Radiator
    *Speakers
    *Cordless Phone
    *Microwave

Hope that helps

13. jspidey

jspidey Newbie

Since the thread was opened in April, my guess is that shinigamikris has an International One X. There is a known hardware issue with these models. I'd would call HTC and see I'd see if this issue applies to your phone too.

14. Rhyan

Rhyan Member

My wife's One X has this hardware issue i.e. low WiFi reception levels. You can identify whether or not this applies to your phone by squeezing the top-right corner of the phone between a thumb and finger and watching the reception levels. If they remain unchanged, you're fine. If the go up under pressure, you have the issue.

As a temporary fix, I have stuffed a soft pad between the phone and the gel case it's in to apply pressure to the affected area constantly. It works, but it's not great that you have to do this. I'm not brave enough to pull the phone apart to apply hardwire fix (there are a few on YouTube). I might contact O2 and see if they can provide a replacement at some point.

Do we know if HTC have implemented their fix on the manufacturing side yet?

Rhyan

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews