• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi keeps turning off...

Hi all,

I just got a Droid 2 Global today and I notice if you leave it alone for a while (which is hard to do with a new phone) the WiFi will turn itself off. The first thing I do with new Android phones is turn the WiFi Sleep Policy to "Never". And that is what I did today, but it still appears to be sleeping.

When I wake the phone I notice that the WiFi is off (Both up in the notification bar and the widget is dark) and the 3G is off as well. The only that is showing is bars. In about 5 seconds the WiFi will turn back on and connect.

Now this only happens if I don't play with the phone for a while. Turning the screen off and back on the WiFi will be on like normal.

As this annoys me that it is doing it, it is the 3G is off at this time as well. Which means the phone isn't getting any data during the period that it is off. Which isn't good since I rely on Google Voice for all of my texting, which won't come in unless there is a internet connection.

Any help on this will be great,
Thanks

Hello RJ, welcome!

When setting up wifi for a new device, it's a good idea to restart the router being accessed so that IP addresses are fresh; your device may be struggling to keep a good hand-shake with the router.

Also, are you running Bluethooth? Bluetooth will sometimes not play nice with wifi in some Android devices. You may need to go into the Bluetooth app in application manager and clear data and cache.

Upvote 0
Hello RJ, welcome!

When setting up wifi for a new device, it's a good idea to restart the router being accessed so that IP addresses are fresh; your device may be struggling to keep a good hand-shake with the router.

Also, are you running Bluethooth? Bluetooth will sometimes not play nice with wifi in some Android devices. You may need to go into the Bluetooth app in application manager and clear data and cache.

Well that is the first time I did was go into my router and assign the Droid 2 Global it's own IP. I keep my network tidy and I like to know my IPs.

But I did find out what was going wrong last night. In Settings>Battery Manager>Battery Mode it was set to Nighttime saver. That would have been bad because I work 3rd shift and I'm up and using this mainly at night.

Thanks for the help though :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones