1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support WiFi loop in CM7 - B&N WiFi works fine

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SonicClang, Jun 6, 2011.

1. SonicClang

SonicClang Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    I'm running CM7 7.0.3, nightly build 94 (just installed to attempt to fix this problem, was running 84) off an SD card. My NC is stuck in the "Obtaining IP Address... Scanning..." loop. So far none (and I mean none) of the suggested fixes online that I've found have fixed my problem. WiFi on the NC with CM7 has always been a bit finicky, but I've always been able to make it work after a little futzing.

Here's why I'm thinking it has to be a driver issue. When I take the uSD card out and boot into the B&N UI, WiFi works fine and I can browse the web. Because of that, I know the problem isn't hardware related.

The last thing I installed today before it stopped working was a bluetooth mouse and keyboard app. It was able to see the mouse, but I couldn't figure out how to use it, plus it was only a demo of the app, so I uninstalled it. That's the last known time the WiFi worked. I've been trying for a couple hours tonight to get it working, to no avail.

I was running nightly build 87 and I figured I'd check to see if there's a newer one, and there was, 97, so I installed it. But that hasn't fixed the problem.

Advertisement

2. SonicClang

SonicClang Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Here's a list of things I've tried:
    - Reset router (usually works)
    - Forgot the connection and re-entered the password
    - Rebooted.
    - Shut down, cold booted.
    - Installed latest nightly CM7 build.
    - Turned on my hotspot on my phone, it wouldn't connect to that either.
    - Shut down, took uSD card out, booted into Stock (completely un-rooted) Barnes & Noble interface and WiFi works perfectly there.
    - Booted into Android 3.0 off a different uSD card and WiFi works just fine there.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I don't think you'll get as much support here as in the xda forum for issues with nightly builds. I think there's only a handful of us here. I'm running nightly #93.

There were issues with wifi with the overclocked kernels. I'm using an old wireless G router that wouldn't work with B&N 1.2 for some reason, but never had an issue with 1.1 or any version of CM7.

Have you tried removing the sdcard, backing it up to your computer, formatting it as fat32, and trying it in your Nook empty? If that works then copy your files back to the card and see if that makes a difference.

When backing up the files to your computer, make a folder on the root of c and name it with a one letter folder name, like N. Some of the files on the sdcard can have really long names and you'll run into trouble if you copy it to your desktop. :D

You might also check the lost folders in sdcard and emmc and see if there's a lot of files there, a sign that your card is going bad or you've got a lot of corruption going on. It's normal to have some files there. I just deleted about 6 from mine. You just should have 100 of them.

4. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    I had that problem with CM7 connecting to an adhoc network, but not to an access point. Phiremod cleared up that problem, though. You're not set up as an adhoc network, are you?

5. SonicClang

SonicClang Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    colchiro, I've tried posting at the xda forums and it tells me I can't post there because I'm not a developer. Kind of seems strange to me to have developers separated from end users. Only other place I could really think to post was here, even though I figured the issue is probably above the heads of most of the visitors here.

So if you're referring to lost.dir, the sd card folder has nothing there, and the emmc has 1 file. Not sure what that file is, but it's 190MB. A file that big makes a tiny bit afraid to delete it without backing it up first.

Unfortunately I'm at work now and I can't try your other suggestion until tonight. If backing up the files, reformatting the card, copying the files back, doesn't fix it, I'll just start with a fresh install of CM7. Kind of sucks because I just got this thing set up the way I wanted it, but on the other hand, it's kind of fun to start fresh :) I think most nerds love that.

flu13, none of the networks I'm connecting to are adhoc. I've tried four connections now and none of them work. My home router, my cell phone hot spot, an unsecured connection at work, and a secure connection at work. None of them work through CM7, but the B&N UI and Honeycomb have no problem connecting to them all. I think it's either corrupt data on the sd card or a bad driver that won't go away.

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT