• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wifi manager

Some routers won't offer this as a possibility

Very true. I am familiar with the Netgear range of routers and people ask regularly for the ability to limit "bandwidth" on a per user basis. But that feature is not widely available.

You can use to give some uses, and maybe users, priority over what goes on. But something that says "Uh oh, this one has used too much this month, turn them off" is rare.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Very true. I am familiar with the Netgear range of routers and people ask regularly for the ability to limit "bandwidth" on a per user basis. But that feature is not widely available.

You can use to give some uses, and maybe users, priority over what goes on. But something that says "Uh oh, this one has used too much this month, turn them off" is rare.

I know some.... Including ddwrt ... Would allow working in a ticketed portal mode ... So may be able to do it that way.

Many will allow per device time restrictions...

Some may show usage per device... So you can smack the person in question with a stick once they get too high.

You also might be able to set up a guest network with a limited total bandwidth cap.

But it depends on what real world problem youre trying to address

Upvote 0
yikes that's getting a bit too technical !!
was just looking for an app!
but thanks anyway !
As already mentioned, you have to use your router's configuration setup to manage this. An app on your phone or a utility running on a Win PC can only access the router's settings, but neither one has the ability to do what you're asking on their own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones