• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi n link speed

Okay, so I have paid the req'd money to upgrade my Sky router to the latest 'N' certified model...silver top and glossy black base. Needed to so I could get a WiFi signal into the furthest room in my house.

Also, I have a neatgear 300mbps WiFi dongle in my pc and my link speed seems to report 130 mbps..as I expected as the router runs in the 2.4ghz band only.

Odd things is though, that the wireless link speed to this phone (a stock htc sensation from Vodafone) reports a link speed of no more than 72mbps on its best connection..

So my question is, why the slow link speed...running just above 54mbps...and whilst I am sitting 10 feet away from it..!

My hardware settings says this is a b/g/n WiFi phone...so what's the crack...is this phone really a draft n device? Rather than the real deal?

Tink.

You only get the highest N speeds if both devices support channel bonding or whatever the correct term is. On my Draytek router the option is shown as channel width of either 20 or 40 Mhz. Not sure about the Sensation supporting that as well. Also, my router is only a 2.4GHz model and my laptop happily connects at 300Mbps, but my Sensation only at 72Mbps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones