1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wifi-N ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by almahix, Jun 7, 2011.

1. almahix

almahix Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Retired software whore
    Southern CA
    Do our beloved Droids have 802.11N or just B/G? I am wanting to upgrade my WAP to N for our laptops. I use my Droid on wifi in the house and wonder if it will run N too or will it choke the N clients back to G.

Advertisement

2. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Your Droid is 802.11G. Not N.

Don't let that stop you from upgrading your home WAP to N, as your N-based laptops will certainly benefit. Set your WAP to "mixed G/N" and your N devices will utilize N, while your G devices will still work on G at the same time. Having G devices in a mixed network will not choke your WAP back to G for all devices. N devices will run at N speeds.

By the way, since you're going through the trouble, consider a dual band (2.4/5 Ghz) N WAP. More and more devices use the 5 Ghz band, which is not as utilized and therefore less prone to interference. More and more laptops, as well as streaming devices like Roku and TiVo utilize the 5Ghz band. Your G devices will use 2.4 Ghz while your N devices will use either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band, depending on their particular capabilities. neall

almahix likes this.