• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi not auto connecting to known network.

My HTC dinc and HTC incredible 4g LTE both connected to my home wifi when i would arrive home automatically but i cant find a way to get the m8 to do it. What am i missing? Is it a setting im not seeing? Thanks in advance.

What carrier version of the M8 are you using? I am on Sprint so I don't know if the following option is on every model: Go to Settings>Wifi>Advanced and uncheck Auto-switch to mobile Network. You can also try unclicking Wi-Fi Optimization and changing the Wi-Fi frequency band from Auto to the band that you are trying to connect to. The one thing that I always do with a new device on my wifi network is connect, then go to my router web-page and reserve an ip address for my new device so that everytime it connects it gets the same IP. You can read your routers manual to learn how to do this but sometimes a router's DHCP server has an issue cycling ip addresses. You may also be a the limit of devices you are allowed to have on the router (not likely). And then of course there is the good old fashion Reboot your Router advice.

Upvote 0
I clicked off the optimization option and it auto connected last night. Just doesn't seem that the option is optimized if it doesn't connect. Lol. Thanks for the sik help clown.

You are very welcome. I guess for some reason your phone was registering your mobile data as a stronger signal than your WiFi. Any chance you are on Verizon? I wonder if the idea of that feature is to keep you on data....:eek:

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
Yeah, big red. Just never used the optimization on the 4g and i don't remember a setting on the og incredible. Hopefully it continues to self hook itself. Im really enjoying this m8. Very curious that the screen in portrait mode is very difficult to see with polarized sunglasses but very easy to see in landscape. Getting used to landscape. Home screens should rotate by now anyway. Some things just don't make sense.

Upvote 0
Yeah, big red. Just never used the optimization on the 4g and i don't remember a setting on the og incredible. Hopefully it continues to self hook itself. Im really enjoying this m8. Very curious that the screen in portrait mode is very difficult to see with polarized sunglasses but very easy to see in landscape. Getting used to landscape. Home screens should rotate by now anyway. Some things just don't make sense.

I always hear that from people: The home screens should be able to be rotated. For the life of me I just can't understand when that would be useful. When would that come in handy? I am honestly curious.

Upvote 0

I was surprised to find the G2 & FLEX stock launcher(s) have auto-rotate.Nice touch.

Anyhoo,I tried the app ULTIMATE ROTATION CONTROL,the 1st use specifically for this,on the M7.
It kinda worked. It rotated,but,let's just say things didn't look quite right,notably BLINKFEED.

Perhaps things have changed,worth taking a look........

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&hl=en

My apologies for straying from the original topic,but,this is one of those "little things" that add up,seems lazy to not incorporate the option w/an on-off toggle in the display settings.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Very strange the Connections optimizer works like that on your phone. It should work the opposite way, WiFi having connection precedence. Thats strange. :thinking:

I've seen this exact oddity in other forums,& also only w/VZW handsets.
The discussion usually leads to the assumption that this is intentional,to get users to eat up more data.

Let the conspiracy discussion run amok,we could use a distraction from the camera thread................ :D

Reactions: quijibo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones