1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi not working 2 feet away from "sweet" spot. Any solutions?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdsubasketball, Jan 4, 2012.

1. sdsubasketball

sdsubasketball Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I got the HTC Rezound last week and it's a good phone. However I've had some trouble using the wifi in my house in my bedroom. The speeds aren't as fast as my computer and laptop in the same room.

Also one thing I notice is that there seem to be "sweet" spots where the wifi works and other spots where it doesn't. For example I have a table where in the middle in my wireless extension receiver for my PC and on the right side of the table I place my phone and the wifi works (though not fast speeds). If I move my phone to the left about 2-3 feet, the wifi doesn't work or doesn't work well enough.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and if there is a solution to get the wifi to work faster and at different spots in my room? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    That's an odd problem. I know mirrors can block the signal but if you're getting signal but slow speeds, I'd try resetting the modem or check the placement of it. I grab signal from my wifi at same or similar speed as the computer in my carport, some 100 feet away and on the other side of my building. So I don't think it's the phone.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    Like ny said. Sometimes resetting the router will fix the problem. It always works for me.

4. andr01d

andr01d Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    androidland
    @sdsubasketball what router are you using?

Put your phone in the dead zone and... some things to try...

- temporarily unplug the power to all cordless phones (if any) in the house

- move/tilt/shift the external anternas on router or shift the entire router to another nearby location (try to shift the router higher or closer to the ceiling... masking tape first, velcro or a shelf later)

- if the router does not have any external antennas, rotate the router by 45, 90, 135, 180, degrees, etc and retest the phone. Also some routers have its built-in antenna on the PCB/board and it's on one side (don't point this good side to the ceiling or to a neighbors house :))

- change the width in the router (the 20 or 40 MHz setting)

- change to the 5 GHz mode if you have dual-band router (the Rezound is 5GHz too), or down to 2.4GHz if it's already there at 5. Best to keep it at 5 GHz though.

- change the channel in the router (use a different channel or something neighbors aren't using, which will take more work to find out unless you happen to have a laptop that already has the snooping software preinstalled, or find/download one)

good luck...

5. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    specifically on the channels try 1, 6, or 11.

6. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    Download "wifi analyzer" it's great for checking what channels others are using but it also has a tool that helps you track your signal strength with a needle and audible beeps that speed up the stronger the signal is so you can check for dead spots. It's a useful app.

trophynuts likes this.
  7. sdsubasketball

sdsubasketball Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    thanks for the advice! I'll see what I can do. I downloaded Wifi analyzer and it's giving me around -70 to -75 dBm at the spot that I thought was a dead spot. Not sure what's been going on here. I'll have to see how it works later tonight and tomorrow

Tags: