• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Off, Data Off still getting emails

nattomi

Lurker
Aug 13, 2013
Hi All,

Since I have updated to JB I am having strange problems with my phone.
I turn off the Wifi and the Data for the nights, but still getting email, ebuy notifications in the middle of the night.

I do not use any 3rd party software only the sony STAMINA mode.

Has anybody experienced the same problem ??

Thanks

Reactions: Paul Badger
Hi, If you have both wifi and mobile data switched off, logically, you can't be receiving emails. Are you sure they aren't text notifications. I have some email accounts that provide text notification of emails arriving in my inbox, in particular my orange email account. Text messages use part of your main mobile connection and do not require a data connection.

If this is not the case, I'm both puzzled and intrigued at the same time!!

:thinking::)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem as well. I have my wifi and mobile data turned off at night and the next morning when i wake up, i receive emails and whatsapp notification. I am using the samsung galaxy s4. I contacted samsung service centre hotline and they told me that i would need to bring my phone down for their engineers to do a check.

Have you solved the problem already?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am facing exactly the same problem. At night i turn off my mobile data and wifi off. I still receive watsapp and fb messeges at night. I use sony Xperia z1. Also, my phone battery drains a lot during night even though i turn off all the unwanted applications. What do i do about it? Please suggest.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have a similar problem. I like to keep my data and WiFi off at all times unless I am using them. A couple of months ago my 4G active symbol started showing up on its own but I check and data is off. I stopped in Verizon and they said it was just a quirk on my galaxy s4 since it didn't appear data was being used. But I've noticed I will use a small amount of data without ever turning it on. And recently I'm starting to get ads popping up on games when they never have before. I keep checking and data is supposedly off even though it keeps showing the 4G active symbol.

Upvote 0
Our smartphones have various 'radio' chips inside them that correspond to different wireless protocols. As far as I know all of our phones still have the very basic 2G, so even if you turn off WiFi and 4G/LTE you still have at least some cellular connectivity. (Also note that Officer Friendly loves 2G because it's a constant that can be relied upon for DRT and Stingray boxes when they're tracking us.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_phone_generations

Upvote 0
Try putting your phone in Airplane Mode, that should disable all wireless (2G, 3G, 4G/LTE, WiFi) transmissions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_mode
I also have the same problem on a Moto G 2nd generation. It seems from what other contributors are saying that turning off Data does not work completely. I will try the suggestion of using airplane mode but would like to see a response from the mobile companies.

Upvote 0
Hi I stumbled across this site while searching the same issue you all have here.

Sorry if this is opening an old issue.

I have been seeing notification for EMAIL and my data plan is off all day.

I do that on purpose and at night so I don’t get disturbed.

I do not want to put my phone in airplane mode as someone suggested. I need to use the device.

Why am I getting gmail and yahoo mail?

When i go into the apps and try to read them I get the no internet connection message.

So how can it be downloading?

This started to happen only in the last few weeks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Samsung S4
CJ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones