1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

wifi on router drops becouse of the phone ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mite_jan, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mite_jan

mite_jan Member

something strange is happening between my phone and my router
    i have a Microsoft MN-500 router (which is a old one with only WEP protection) but pretty functional

when i started connecting to the router with the phone and after surfing some period on the phone the wifi signal will drop (this means that my wireless connection on the router is gone but the other computer which i have it connected through cable has connection) so i need to restart the router to get the wireless conection back on the router

this happened a couple of times when using the phone and i had never this problem using laptops

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

I can't tell from your post if you've verified that the problem does not currently occur when using a laptop. Can you clarify?

The reason I ask is, I've had multiple wireless routers that (when they get a bit old) seem to have overheating issues. I'm not sure the cause, but it's worse on hot summer days, the router gets noticeably hot, and the Wifi will just turn off. I haven't used the model you mentioned though, so I'm not sure if this is helpful to you or not.

3. matttye

matttye Android Expert

Have you tried more than one wireless device or are you assuming that because you can't connect with your phone that the wireless net has stopped working?

A similar problem happens to me when I forget to tell my phone to use a static IP again when I return home. I have my home network setup using static IPs for Xbox Live reasons.. if I forget to tell my phone to use a static IP again, it causes all kinds of problems.

Make sure either every or no device on your network is using a static IP.

4. mite_jan

mite_jan Member

i am giving conection through that router on 2 computers wirelessly and one computer through cable and my connection haven't droped never (connection on the router)

when connecting through the phone i can use the internet for 1,2,3,4,5 hours and then the SSID will dissapear so i have to restart the router to connect again (very strange)

it happened twice or three times just when i started using connection through the phone only so that's why i suspect

i have everything set on automatic (wireless channel 6)

5. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast

I think the question Matttye was aking was, when the SSID disappears (you can't see it on the phone), have you tried connecting a laptop via WiFi, to check wether it is actually the router. The Desire is well known for dropping WiFi sometimes.

6. mite_jan

mite_jan Member

yes i have tried and it is gone no matter with what i try

7. sonny123

sonny123 Newbie

Hey buddy,

We had new internet with SKY (an ISP in the UK) and my download speed was set at 300kbps for the first 10 days. The first 10 days they use for testing the stability of my connection.

Anyway, we use to get loadsa disconnections when laptops and phones were connected wirelessly.

I tried everything to fix it. This went on for a couple of weeks. Suddenly, the problem went away. I realised that sky dropped my max download speed from 300kbps to 200kbps.

It's been 6 months, not had a single disconnection on any device since.

8. mite_jan

mite_jan Member

ok i am pretty sure now that the phone makes this problem (don't know if i can call it a problem)
    could it be of the old router

but it is very strange that it only makes my wireless conection dissapear
    the cable connection is still working

i can't find a solution except buy new router :)

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews