1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

wifi only-am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fulvia, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Fulvia

Fulvia Lurker

Greetings. I have a new Kyocera Event ($20) that I have not activated. I am using it when in range of WiFi and that is all I 'think' I want it for, during the rare times I am away from home and work. Am I on the right track or am I missing out for not activating it? I am not interested in monthly plans but I do hope to drop the landline in time. In order to drop the landline, I am going to need a# and the only way to get a phone number is to activate, right?

If any of this is right, please correct me, I could instead get an unlocked phone, buy a sim card, and that sim card would give me a number?

Thanks for your time and help. I've never posted to a forum so apologies in advance for any faux-pas on my part.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved this thread to the forum dedicated to discussing your phone.

... Thom

Fulvia likes this.
  3. Hi i've been using the event as a wi-fi only phone
    there's two apps i've found that you can use for calling and texting over wifi with a number they assign you
    pinger has free incoming calls but to make outbound you have to buy/earn minutes
    talkatone is another one as long as you have a google account you need to make a google voice account so you have a number.

4. Fulvia

Fulvia Lurker

I am using Google Voice and Groove IP Lite to call for free and surf the net on WIFI. I am unable to receive calls though, that is, the phone rings, I answer but I do not really pick up the call, it keeps ringing and then goes to the landline and answering machine. I had hoped to drop the landline but if one does not have a number ported to begin with -and I did not have a cellphone to start- seems like it's not possible perhaps. I will look at the two apps you mentioned; thanks for your time.

5. so did it work?

6. Fulvia

Fulvia Lurker

No it did not work. I am guessing that since there is no SIM card in the phone, I do not really have a number and that is why I cannot receive calls? Other than that, I can use it when in wifi range to call out just fine.

Thanks for asking, let me know your thoughts.

7. it'll only work on wifi. i use talkatone on mine. in order to use it when you are away from wifi you need to pay $35 a month so you can have data access.

8. sharpfork

sharpfork Lurker

I'm also looking to use my new Event as wifi only. I don't really care about using it for calls and can use google voice for texting. I'll use it for watching netflix, a bit of email, some simple games, and a MP3 player.

Any additional advice around using this device without activating it?

9. abl2ping

abl2ping Lurker

Yea, I've been using this phone for a few months now, it's been solid-ish, battery life is great, the preformance was originally less then stellar but after rooting and removing the stuff I wasn't going to use (ie voice dialer, google books mobile ID and a few other useless apps this phone has been really reliable I use it for ventrilo (mangler), skype, netflix, my kid uses it for gaming when we travel. I'm looking into making it into a mobile hotspot so I can use my ps vita at the college, right now I can't because they use a type of encryption that the vita doesn't support but the phone does. I don't know if you can route a wifi connection to a wifi connection, will let everyone know once I get there.

To get rid of the bloatware follow this guide
    Kyocera Rise v4.0.4 Root Procedure

10. sharpfork

sharpfork Lurker

Thanks for the advice and link.
    Any chance you can provide a slightly more specific list of what you removed? I don't want to mess it up!

11. abl2ping

abl2ping Lurker

12. Bstressfree

Bstressfree Member

Hi, I see this thread hasn't been active for someone but thought I'd leave a reply anyway.
    I too have gone Wi-Fi only. For voice I use an app called Dingtone. Works quite well.

13. Bstressfree

Bstressfree Member

Kyocera Event Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews