• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi Only XOOM?

You're assuming a wi-fi only version would be cheaper, but honestly, that would be unlikely. It is more likely that regardless of launch price or data plan requirements, Verizon paid Moto for some form of exclusivity, thus lowering the price of the device for the consumer.

The only company that works opposite that logic is Apple, and they are communists. That is the only reason why the 3G version of the iPad is more expensive than the Wi-Fi only. Apple will not allow AT&T to subsidize the iPad, because Apple wants all the money for themselves.

Again, no matter how Xoom pricing is structured, anyone from any carrier will have the ability to pay an off contract price (assuming there are contract prices to begin with), and only use Wi-Fi.

This makes complete sense in the phone world where this has been the model forever. But here we are going up directly with the iPad and the new iPad 2 soon. It is THE device the Xoom has to compete with if it is going to be successful. Therefore they need to keep the pricing structure similar or people will just buy the cheaper device that has a great track record for happy consumers already. Now, I am an Android user and will continue to be. No iPhone for me. I am waiting with money put away for a Xoom tablet. But let me reassure you, I will only buy a wifi only model (will not pay for something I don't need) and I'll only buy it if it can be bought at a directly competing price (or lower though I don't expect that to be the case) with the ipad. Otherwise I'll keep using my laptop (which I don't pay for 3g on and have never missed it) and Motorola can say bye bye to my $499.

Upvote 0
I don't mind if my device has 4G or 3G capabilities. Where's the harm as long as I don't HAVE to pay to use it. As long as the Xoom can connect to wifi networks where's the problem? MOST of us here have rooted Android phones which means with wifi tether (free in the Market) or a hack to make the native Wifi Hotspot work (which I also have), where's my motivation to shell out another $20 or more to do what I already do for free? Sure 4G will be faster, but it's not native to the Xoom. 4G will not be faster than my Wireless n router with Road Runner Power Boost. On my Dinc I get download speeds of 15-18 mb/s regularly from home. Using my phone with uncapped data tethered to my laptop I get anywhere from 5-9 mb/s for FREE.

If the issue is cost of 3G/4G vs. Wifi only I can't imagine any major cost differential. Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
It's like people still think having a Verizon logo on it means you have to buy into a data contract. You don't for the Galaxy Tab or iPad/MiFi on Verizon, so why would you have to for the Xoom?

exactly right. more than likely what we will see is a $599 price and included in that price is one month of 3g data. then they will put it on you to remember to opt out after 30 days but you can turn 3g back on for a month at any time. so the wifi only people don't worry about it, save up $599 and enjoy the first month then remember to cancel and wala, you have a wifi tablet with no contract but the option of turning a month to month contract on just in case.

the great thing about all carriers and doing month to month on data for tablets is that you don't have to stay within one carrier now. for example as a verizon customer if i wanted to i could wait for the g-slate from t-mobile and not use the month to month 3g from them and i have a wifi tablet i can hook up to one of my verizon phones for data. someone on at&t or sprint could do the same for the xoom... that being said after everything shown at CES i already have my money set aside for the xoom and will probably upgrade the xoom to try the LTE for one month just to see how fast it really is.

Upvote 0
It's like people still think having a Verizon logo on it means you have to buy into a data contract. You don't for the Galaxy Tab or iPad/MiFi on Verizon, so why would you have to for the Xoom?

Yup, Amen. Hopefully this will be the case on the XOOM. We don't know this to be true yet of course, but it certainly would make sense.

It also would be the best thing for me personally. I actually want the 3G/4G version (if it's month-to-month) so I can turn on the data if I need it for a month here and there (traveling away from wifi, etc).

Upvote 0
if they could release both simultaneously...wow.

Moto/VZW/Google will get great market penetration on the "entry-level" version, while meeting the needs of the well-to-do tech geeks with the "premium" version.

16GB wifi-only would be OK with me. I don't really have a need for 32 GB, unless some of these new TegraZone games have incredible installed file sizes.

Upvote 0
A $200 reduction for removing a 3G radio? Doubtful.

Don't forget, Motorola will have to market/sell/distribute/support a Wi-Fi only version by themselves, all at added cost.

I dont see how thats out the question. The ipad wifi to 3g jump is 130 dollars so its a matter of 70 bucks. They have a lot gain here staying out the 700 dollar range.

Upvote 0
The wifi only Xoom is most likely my baby of the future. This tablet is top quality and has everything I need/want assuming the only thing they take out is the 3G. If they remove GPS then I'll drop the Xoom like a hot potato.

The only other company that can beat this may be HTC and I am unsure of their 10 inch tab plans. HTC is rumered to have a 10 inch tab in June, but the focus initially will be on their 7 inch tab coming in March. So - I'll wait to know what HTC is doing and if they are not doing a 10 inch tab, then the wifi Xoom will be mine.

Upvote 0
If this is true, I expect the 32gig WiFi to be around $650-700. I'm not too confident that they'll be releasing tiered memory options (i.e. 8gig, 16gig). I don't see the need for external marketing either. Verizon will do enough of that and standard BestBuy fliers will be enough otherwise. A magazine here and there should be more than sufficient to spread the word.

I'm on the fence of whether or not I'll need the 3g/4g. NEED? Probably not. Would it be convenient, yes. But at the cost that BB add quoted, I'm thinking NOT. My biggest problem is that I'm so impatient. I want this, YESTERDAY!!!

Upvote 0
I'm guessing 599 for wifi only and to ease the people who are buying 3G one for 799 the upgrade to 4G will be on the house.

Lol, how about let's just say it'll be $999 so if it's lower we'll be happy! :)
Everyone just put that in our heads....$999...$999...$999 maybe it'll save us from arguing how bad the pricing is for the Xoom. :p

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
The wifi only Xoom is most likely my baby of the future. This tablet is top quality and has everything I need/want assuming the only thing they take out is the 3G. If they remove GPS then I'll drop the Xoom like a hot potato.

Out of curiosity, why do you place so much value on having GPS in tablet? I would think that using a 10 inch, $600-$800 tablet for navigation while driving would be a little unwieldy (can it even do turn by turn directions not connected to a network?). Also, my understanding is that GPS does not work indoors, which would seem to limit its use for other purposes.

Upvote 0
Great question. Yes, I would like to use navigation, although not while I am driving. Perhaps out around town. Perhaps while my wife is driving and I'm riding shotgun. I'm just trying to figure out if I can use all the features without paying all the money. I hate having a toy I cant fully use.

Its probably not a big deal really. But I won't know until I try playing with it.

Upvote 0
Great question. Yes, I would like to use navigation, although not while I am driving. Perhaps out around town. Perhaps while my wife is driving and I'm riding shotgun. I'm just trying to figure out if I can use all the features without paying all the money. I hate having a toy I cant fully use.

Its probably not a big deal really. But I won't know until I try playing with it.

I know what you mean. I'm even excited about the barometer, although I'm 99% sure it will be all but useless. :)

Upvote 0
Would the wifi-only have to go through the FCC is they weren't selling it in the US? There is some speculation on phandroid and engadget that only europe will get the wifi version. That would suck but wouldn't surprise me based on the US dependence on carriers.

Hopefully all will be revealed on the 20th

The FCC is a federal department meaning it is a US only department, BUT if it is an electronic product being sold in the US it has to go through the FCC. Europe has it's own FCC-like department. I wouldn't worry too much about the US not getting the WiFi only version. It is almost a must if Moto/Google want to jump into the ring with Apple.

Check this out, it isn't much but it was posted in a different thread. There are TWO place holders on the Xoom site of Best Buy...that's GOTTA be a WiFi only and the 3G+WiFi.

Best Buy.com/Xoom

Reactions: StreakTheQuad
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones