1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wifi or 3G Tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ZingXao, May 25, 2011.

1. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Yo, me again. Just wondering, which do you think is best... a wifi tablet or a 3g tablet?

is a 3g tablet worth it if I have an Android phone?

Advertisement

2. hilman

hilman Member
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Male
    Chemist
    Edmonton, Canada
    I would say no as WiFi tablets are cheaper and can be used via your Android smartphone hotspot (assuming it is 2.2+ and no extra charge for doing so). I would say 99% of my tablet use is on my/work/friends WiFi networks, isn't that what your phone is for when not around free WiFi lol?

3. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    3g is not worth it if you have rooted phone that can tether via wifi. ;)

4. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    Because WiFi is everywhere, it seems, WiFi is a good way to go. Less cost. Also, consider your contract: do you really want to be tied to your tablet for two years; lots can happen in a couple of years and something better might arrive that compels you to want to change tablets.

Add to that the current cost of your cell phone. Can you afford two contracts that you are tied to?

Not sure how many pay as you go 3G plans are out there. To me, I'll never sign a cell contract and I have used the Virgin Mobile devices and they work well, so for me, WiFi is just fine. The iPad (last time I checked) used a pay as you go plan for 3G access.

I have a WiFi only tablet but if I need it, I can simply use a portable hot spot. And I can go 4G as it becomes available. And no contract, either.

You can tether your cell if you need to, but your existing contract might not allow it, or your cell might not be capable.

Bob